Possible Firmware issue with AMD Framework 13 - Mouse/Screen Latency/Lag/Freezing

Hi All,

I have been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks now. Basically for no apparent reason input (External mouse or touchpad) will start freezing at least once per second.
-Windows 11 23H2 Build 22631.3958
-Framework 13 AMD 7840u

The only clue I have that it may be hardware related is when it happens the Cisco umbrella client on my device starts logging ‘PowerEvent handled successfully by the service.’ in time with the freezes (thousands of logs per hour).
I have removed the client fully and the issue still happens (just with no associated logs) so I am fairly sure it is not the cause.

Most of the time a full reboot will stop it from happening for a while (sometimes days).

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:
Cam

1 Like

Hi All,

I have been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks now. Basically for no apparent reason input (External mouse or touchpad) will start freezing at least once per second.
-Windows 11 23H2 Build 22631.3958
-Framework 13 AMD 7840u

The only clue I have that it may be hardware related is when it happens the Cisco umbrella client on my device starts logging ‘PowerEvent handled successfully by the service.’ in time with the freezes (thousands of logs per hour).
I have removed the client fully and the issue still happens (just with no associated logs) so I am fairly sure it is not the cause.

Most of the time a full reboot will stop it from happening for a while (sometimes days).

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:
Cam

Welcome to the forum.

Some additional information that might assist others in helping.
What do you have connected?
Docks, monitors, other external devices.
Is it connected to AC, and if so, what charger & what cable.
Which expansion cards do you have installed.
Any other not-so-common programs or setup.

Sure.
-Happens on ac or battery
-Happens on or off of USBC and thunderbolt docks
-Using my work soe (hence Umbrella roaming client) but I have tested it running Vanilla Windows 11 as well and it still does it.
-Expansion Cards Are:
USBC-------USBC
USBA-------HDMI

I am running bitlocker Encryption on my disk, I think that is probably the only thing I have not tested so far.

Just Found this could be a wider issue with the 7xxx amd chips?
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/18pcw36/t14s_amd_owners_are_you_running_into/

Note: I had already Disabled PSR on my device as a troubleshooting step, it definitely reduces the stutter but it is absolutely still there.

From what I can tell, the issue with these is 2 fold:

-Major Stuttering on external can be fixed instantly by disabling Panel specific refresh - this happens 100% of the time with external displays until PSR is disabled.

-Input stutter on all screens is intermittent, I am fairly sure it is a hardware issue.
I am going to try and swap out the Mediatek wireless for an intel as the only solid evidence I have is that my Umbrella client (DNS - hooks into the NIC for monitoring shenanigans - yes I have tried removing it, it still happens :slight_smile: ) is reporting a power event 1-2 times a second. I see no other power events, making me think something in the nic may be malfunctioning (I have tried different driver versions no change). Will report back if it changes - it can be days between faults though so may be a while.

-Cam

What do you have plugged into the usb/hdmi ports? Make/model.
If you remove all the expansion slot cards, does the problem go away?
Just so you can narrow down the problem.

Happens with nothing plugged in whatsoever - Have not removed the expansions themselves, though given this appears to be happening on lenovo and HP devices with the same chipset I doubt it is the expansion modules.

Well, I installed an Intel ax200 wireless card. Issue popped up again today, same flood of event logs from ERCService successfully handling a power event.
I think it might be happening when waking from sleep? Ill have to line up some logs.
So frustrating.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hi! I’m having the same issue on my Ryzen 7840u device! Weird that I have never heard of this before. Any updates on your end?

Still no updates my end. Last thing I did was a clean install with the current AMD drivers (NOT the framework supplied ones)
It crashed the display driver twice before I rebooted, but other than that it is effectively the same, I am getting the hitching right now (Along with the log spam about “PowerEvent handled successfully by the service.” from ERCService.

From what I have experienced A reboot will sort it out (sometimes for a week, sometimes half a day). However in my line of work rebooting in the middle of a day is a painful prospect that results in a good chunk of lost time.

My gut feel is that something is not handling waking up from sleep correctly. However I have no solid evidence for that. :frowning:

I am experiencing the exact same thing - Framework 13, AMD 7840U, 32GB RAM, there should absolutely be no reason for any latency problem in my normal office work, but still it happens. Please keep us up-to-date if you find any hint or even solution. THANK YOU from Germany!