Public Beta Test: 11th Gen BIOS v3.06 + Driver Bundle 2021_10_29

Ugh. No go.

I tried 2 sticks, though the same manufacturer but different sizes (one was a 32gb the other was a 64gb)… disabled quick boot (thinking maybe that was it but not so enabled it)… same pic in my original post (top one) - invalid firmware image…

1 Like

It worked fine for me today, w/10 running though… Avoiding 11 as long as possible.

Weird for sure.

2 Likes

Try downloading via another computer if you have one) directly to the USB drive.

Other thing I did was turn off ALL programs running… Disconnected from the internet, no anti-virus, temp monitors, nothing but vanilla windows running.

1 Like

Ok, I have another computer I can try to and I will also shut down everything in terms of programs… fingers crossed

2 Likes

@Eric_Campbell looks like things are ok on the windows side.
The bios is failing the update due to integrity/signature checks.

1. the bios update runs a capsule updater on your boot partition, maybe the partition is too small to copy over the capsule update file.

2. Have you adjusted any secure boot settings in the bios? Or enrolled your own keys to enable self signed Linux kernel modules? The bios update requires a DB key from Framework to be present to validate the firmware update. If this was somehow removed then the capsule update would not be valid. So if you have any additional background it might help me reproduce what is happening to you.

1 Like

(@Kieran_Levin I would love to see these certificates officially released; I have offered copies over in this thread.)

2 Likes

Can confirm, tried that yesterday and updating the BIOS to 3.06 worked without issues.

1 Like

I also forked it when you did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know why the main board was switched away from realtek?

Are us realtekers no on inferior boards?

1 Like

Do a search on the topic. They mentioned a supply issue (no surprise these days) with the original chip. That started the process…

2 Likes

Gotta say this feature is greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

Update - finally updated to v3.06
Thanks all!

2 Likes

What ended up being the solution? I remember @Fraoch having a similar issue; perhaps it would help them!

2 Likes

@Kieran_Levin may have mentioned in passing what my problem is:

I do remember playing around with secure boot and I remember deleting EFI keys. I have a sinking feeling I may have wiped the DB key. :tired_face: That would explain the odd error message.

BUT I remember seeing the DB keys, not knowing what they were but observing that they looked long and complicated and thinking that I’d better not mess around with them.

You released this (thanks!) to check and recover the DB key. Looks complicated and I don’t know anything about this, but I’ll try to figure it out.

1 Like

For me, I feel it was pretty specific - I use a program called Rollback RX - https://horizondatasys.com/rollback-rx-time-machine/rollback-rx-home/ and have used it since… wow… 2014 and not realizing that while it has to run before the OS boots, I never put 2 and 2 together that it could basically be taking up a part of the BIOS partition. So… I had an m.2 with enclosure that I just use for data transfer, swapped out my m.2 with Rollback + OS on it, got windows 10 (at the time being at work we only use win10) on it and then ran the bios update, I was so stoked that it worked then swapped it out and I’m back in business.

2 Likes

If this is indeed the case, there should be some doc outlining this or even better - a message in the BIOS itself.

1 Like

The BIOS updater seems to work when started via command prompt from Windows USB installation media. That means theoretically the whole thing can be done using Ventoy and a single USB drive. I used a separate USB drive when I tested for holding the BIOS updater.

1 Like

So there was something else still running. :wink:

1 Like

Yea sadly, my fault. It’s sad to say this - in all of the years that I have used it, all of 8, I’ve never had a laptop that I needed or even thought about the BIOS… yet at work (in the IT field), we run Dell BIOS updates all of the time but we don’t have something running before hand… so… definitely a n00b moment for me… ah well…

2 Likes

I hope we get LVFS up and running soon, I’m very eager to check out the new BIOS and see if it fixes the issues I’m having.

9 Likes