Public Beta Test: 11th Gen BIOS v3.06 + Driver Bundle 2021_10_29

Does anyone know why the main board was switched away from realtek?

Are us realtekers no on inferior boards?

1 Like

Do a search on the topic. They mentioned a supply issue (no surprise these days) with the original chip. That started the processā€¦

2 Likes

Gotta say this feature is greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

Update - finally updated to v3.06
Thanks all!

2 Likes

What ended up being the solution? I remember @Fraoch having a similar issue; perhaps it would help them!

2 Likes

@Kieran_Levin may have mentioned in passing what my problem is:

I do remember playing around with secure boot and I remember deleting EFI keys. I have a sinking feeling I may have wiped the DB key. :tired_face: That would explain the odd error message.

BUT I remember seeing the DB keys, not knowing what they were but observing that they looked long and complicated and thinking that Iā€™d better not mess around with them.

You released this (thanks!) to check and recover the DB key. Looks complicated and I donā€™t know anything about this, but Iā€™ll try to figure it out.

1 Like

For me, I feel it was pretty specific - I use a program called Rollback RX - https://horizondatasys.com/rollback-rx-time-machine/rollback-rx-home/ and have used it sinceā€¦ wowā€¦ 2014 and not realizing that while it has to run before the OS boots, I never put 2 and 2 together that it could basically be taking up a part of the BIOS partition. Soā€¦ I had an m.2 with enclosure that I just use for data transfer, swapped out my m.2 with Rollback + OS on it, got windows 10 (at the time being at work we only use win10) on it and then ran the bios update, I was so stoked that it worked then swapped it out and Iā€™m back in business.

2 Likes

If this is indeed the case, there should be some doc outlining this or even better - a message in the BIOS itself.

1 Like

The BIOS updater seems to work when started via command prompt from Windows USB installation media. That means theoretically the whole thing can be done using Ventoy and a single USB drive. I used a separate USB drive when I tested for holding the BIOS updater.

1 Like

So there was something else still running. :wink:

1 Like

Yea sadly, my fault. Itā€™s sad to say this - in all of the years that I have used it, all of 8, Iā€™ve never had a laptop that I needed or even thought about the BIOSā€¦ yet at work (in the IT field), we run Dell BIOS updates all of the time but we donā€™t have something running before handā€¦ soā€¦ definitely a n00b moment for meā€¦ ah wellā€¦

2 Likes

I hope we get LVFS up and running soon, Iā€™m very eager to check out the new BIOS and see if it fixes the issues Iā€™m having.

9 Likes

Grin, we all have themā€¦ Wait until you get olderā€¦ They change the name to Senior moments :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Hooray for the option to turn down the brightness of the power switch! Itā€™s much more in balance with the brightness of the keyboard now, and not blinding in a darker room.

I had already installed the 3.03 driver pack so I didnā€™t bother with this one, as I do not have a Framework with the new audio hardware. I keep my Intel drivers up to date with the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, which I recommend to all Framework owners who use Windows because it gets driver updates well before Windows Update does.

Holding off on Windows 11 for now; Microsoft is offering it to me. Iā€™m hoping Microsoft relents on the taskbar changes and makes it possible to put it on the side of the screen in 11 ā€“ I want my vertical space!!

3 Likes

I was going to try itā€¦ but I was surprised to find that my laptop actually shipped with 3.06! I guess that means I have the new audio codec.

2 Likes

If you use the driver installer, itā€™ll tell you if you have a Tempo. Or you could take a peek inside the laptop!

2 Likes

I updated to 3.06 and I noted 2 things of interest to me.

1. I cannot charge from the right-hand side USB-C module thatā€™s close to the screen.
  2. Can the power LED be dimmer? Or the option to turn it off completely?
1 Like

I charge almost exclusively from that USB C port on the right. Have not had any issue.

I do wonder if it could be off, but then I think it might be difficult to tell when the computer is in standby or off. Guess it would be a trade-off.

1 Like

I tried swapping the modules around. The right-hand side just doesnā€™t charge for me anymore.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to update the BIOS from a Windows 10 USB installation that Iā€™ve used for many BIOS updates on various laptops, but when I try applying the 3.06 update (from 3.02) it says Erasing and Writing, then I get an error that says ā€œThe BIOS image to be updated is invalid for Secure Flash or onboard BIOS does not support Secure Flashā€. I didnā€™t see any settings in the firmware menu for Secure Flash, and I have Secure Boot enabled. I also tried updating to 3.03 just in case, but get the same error.

2 Likes