Public Beta Test: 11th Gen BIOS v3.03 + Driver Bundle 2021_08_31

EDIT: A driver package reinstall seems to have fixed this.

I don’t have a screenshot of the installer message, but I do have an ‘unknown device’ in device manager.

1 Like

@nrp I tried the driver install again and it worked with the smart sound and realtek driver installing. Could have sworn that this was not the case the first time around. In any event, now to see if sleep works properly without it going into hibernate.

Edit: I still go into hibernate after a while sleeping

1 Like

Just performed both updates and they were successful. I also experienced what Chris2 did where after reboot it sat on a blank screen for ~40 seconds.

1 Like

It struck me that it was doing a memory training again… Seemed like the same place and amount of time as it initially did for that.

I’m on the new BIOS and drivers and have not noticed a problem yet. Going to check power drain this morning.

2 Likes

Really hoping the S0ix / modernstandby drain bug is fixed with this – if it is i’ll be keeping my preorder!

1 Like

You may as well keep it - they’re quick about updates (news and releases), and in general, by pulling out you’re making it worse for everyone else by an ever so little amount.
Setting PlatformAoAcOverride to 0 in regedit disables modern standby and re-enabled S3 sleep. It’s slower to wake, but quicker than waking from hibernation. And it drains very little when sleeping!

4 Likes

Stopping by quick to say thanks for all the feedback and questions so far on the release/release process (please keep it coming :racehorse:!), we are reviewing and keeping all of the feedback here top of mind for this and future releases. Thank you all!

3 Likes

We haven’t seen this yet, but going to try and repro on my end as well. How audible is the noise for you? Do I need to put my ear up to the laptop vent or should I be able to hear it generally when sitting a few feet away? And to confirm you are seeing this with the beta BIOS/driver package?

Edit: Just did a quick test and was able to reproduce on my end, will dig into this with the team. Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

it is a lever button;
as long as there is power to the mainboard it works (AC or battery);
the trigger would work if they tried to power it on or charge the battery while the chassis is open

1 Like

Whoa didn’t know S3 was an option – thought it was required to be removed with tiger lake. Guess I was wrong. Good to know this is an option, thank you!

1 Like

Excited for this. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks cowpod! I assume setting it to 1 (or whatever the initial value was) will reinstate S0?

I prefer having the control of S3 myself. Sometimes I know I’ll be using it in a couple of hours, and I like knowing that it’ll come on near instant when lifting the lid.

Now one thing that I do like about S0 is that, from what i’ve read, hibernating is better on the battery. Not just in the obvious way, but because I read that it is not good for a battery to constantly be in a state of discharge. By hibernating the battery is at rest.

But it is also a perception thing. When I sleep a computer, I don’t expect it to process anything until I’m back at the keyboard and asking it to do so. The idea that my laptop is going to listen to network activity and keep outlook up to date is not something I want or ever asked for. My smartphone is much better at that.

Anyway, thanks!

1 Like

Reporting back to say that I was able to update the bios and used the new driver back. So far no issues. I did however enabled S3.

One thing I’m noticing is that resuming from S3 suspend takes about 6 seconds. During which the screen is blank, and the keys and mouse are not responsive. The power button is lit though.

I noticed this exact same behavior when resuming from suspend on Ubuntu.

So I’m wondering is this just how long it takes because of the amount of RAM in the system?

Thermal performance seems improved by about 4C in my use case. I used to hover around 42C, and now I’m sitting around 38-39C with the same amount of programs open and activity.

1 Like

I’m thinking that this isn’t true S3 sleep, and that it instead is hibernating. Can’t prove this though, so not sure.

1 Like

I had a slight scare, but it worked out in the end:

• Ran bios update from windows 10, while plugged into eGPU. Realized that would’ve went more smoothly after it started, if I disconnected the eGPU.
  • Waited about 10 minutes after reboot, still black screen. Forced shutdown and reboot, still black screen (power LED was green).
  • Disconnected battery & CMOS battery, reconnected, and rebooted
  • Success
2 Likes

Whew, glad you were able to recover. Been there, and I would definitely have been sweating a bit!

1 Like

@pixelforest any updates on the Linux front?

2 Likes

@Kieran_Levin and I have been working on it, but we got a bit more swamped/behind than we anticipated this week. We will make a quick post here as soon as it’s available, we appreciate your patience as I know quite a few have been waiting for this.

2 Likes

Tested on a 1165G7 without issue

1 Like

@iaredavid interesting finding, I guess we may have attempted to load the eGPU option rom and display video via the eGPU during the firmware update. We will suggest to unplug any eGPU devices during the update.

2 Likes