Public Beta Test: 11th Gen BIOS v3.03 + Driver Bundle 2021_08_31

By the way, Frame.Work team, Intel Driver’s Update utility has found that Intel XE GPU, BT and WiFi drivers from the Aug 31/2021 bundle are outdated and offered to update all three. So far I’ve spent one day testing all 3-- everything works smoothly. What is important, the XE GPU from Sep 7 from Intel is faster than this beta-bundled version ~7% in both 3d games and Machine Learning( OpenVino). Also, I have to admit that new BT driver has resolved the tiny issue I had when some BT headsets had interference with BT mouse( sometimes mouse cursor was freezing when playing sound, sometimes sound was clicking when mouse moves). Although, I can’t see any WiFi driver changes/improvements, it’s stable and works like a charm.
Long story short guys, I believe you definitely need to upgrade your bundle with the latest drivers. Yours are already outdated.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing with drivers. It isn’t as simple as, Company X (in this case Intel), updated their drivers, toss the new one in the bundle!

Once a company releases a new driver there is a very long, intensive amount of testing that a company has to go through to validate that the driver will work with their hardware and not break anything or cause any conflicts with other drivers or devices. Intel releases a generic driver that they say works. The key here is generic. They don’t promise that it will work with everything on the market. That’s up to companies like Framework, HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. to do their own validation to make sure that the drivers work properly on their systems.

TL;DR - drivers take a lot of validation work to ensure they don’t break anything. Intel doesn’t validate for companies. This takes a long time.

3 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion, that my woes about the power adapter, or what I thought might be the bios, is related to the magnetic sensor. I have had this happen a few times now, and it is always when I’ve had my laptop on another laptop, that I just checked, and yes, it has a magnet in it as well. Not sure if there is any other cause, but so far, it appears this is an issue with the frame.work thinking I’ve closed the lid. Interesting though, I’ve found when it thinks the lid is closed (or at least when its positioned just right over my other laptop) the keyboard is shut off, the light from the power button goes out, but the touch-pad still functions. Its an interesting “failure” mode. Well, not failure. Sharing in case people have similar situations. So far i’ve seen, headphones in my friends pocket lock the screen, other laptops, and having a magnetic tool on my desk. I feel better knowing i’m not losing my mind. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So, how’s the linux version going?

9 Likes

I must say that without upgrade to 3.03 I couldn’t turn on the laptop if it wasn’t connected to a charger.

Do I have to try to make a windows to go usb drive or something? I have a win10 pro license but no windows partition. On this machine I was hoping to finally not actually need to carve out hundreds of gigs of my hd just to boot into windows once every 2 years to install a firmware update. I was hoping to only use windows from a vm on odd occasions, and have the option to move the whole vm off to an external drive when not needed 90% of the time.

If the linux bios installer isn’t going to be forthcoming any time soon, can there at least be some kind of stand-alone bootable image? In the old days, I could take dos firmware updaters and just pop them onto a freedos bootable usb stick in 2 seconds, boot, run, done.

If firmware updaters must be Windows apps these days, can they at least possibly maybe run from ReactOS so that there can be a legally redistributable fully self-contained bootable image, or at least directions?

I used to also make bootale “BartPE” disks, an earlier version of windows-on-a-bootable-cd but that required using actual windows files which are not legal to redistribute. But it worked to run firmware updaters and malware scanners etc.

… I’m going to see if I can get ReactOS to work just out of curiosity. It’s unlikely to be solid enough, but I think it would be awesome if it could work so it’s worth trying.

2 Likes

Hi. I was browsing the forums because of charging issues when I came to this thread. I have successfully updated the bios to 3.03 and the drivers. all went smoothly and it may have helped my charging issues (need more time to fully confirm).

My question: how can I ensure I get timely notifications of updates when they are available? This thread started in early September and it is now middle October when I found it. It may have solved my problem but it was accidental that I found out about the update.

I’d like that to be a little more routine. Is there a list I can join for update notifications?

< david

Just switch this thread to “Watching” and you’ll get an email when there’s news :slight_smile:

I went to all the trouble of making a Windows To Go drive to update the BIOS on my Linux-only Framework, and I get an error:

“The BIOS image to be updated is invalid for Secure Flash or onboard BIOS does not support Secure Flash.”

Does this mean I have to turn on Secure Boot? Or something else?

2 Likes

For all of you on linux still waiting, take a look at Medicat USB which contains a heavily modified “Mini Windows 10” based on the PE ISO. I was able to flash v3.03 from there.

4 Likes

Seriously asking - what did you gain from it? I mean, is there anything essential in 3.03 that can’t wait until it’s out of beta and we can flash it without the help of Windows?

Well, it only took around 10 minutes total, so why not?

It also fixes a linux specific bug, “Solve issue where user cannot enter the BIOS menus after rebooting from Linux.”

Additionally I ran into this being helpful for me: “Improve power button behavior to detect short press to power on.”

And it may be called a beta, but I’ve not had issues with it, and downgrading would take… 10 minutes!

Is it essential? No. But neither is installing linux instead of windows, purchasing this laptop, or going to school. This laptop is half my daily driver and half a toy, so why not play with it a bit?

2 Likes

Assuming you don’t have a brick :slight_smile:

Ok, 30 minutes. I have an external programmer :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m getting the same error, and I use Secure Boot with BitLocker.

Running as administrator. Not sure what’s going on, but I’ll try to fiddle with it.

1 Like

On my desktop Linux machine, fwupdmgr suddenly stopped working, with the error message:

“UEFI capsule updates not available or enabled in firmware setup”

This occurred after I altered the secure boot setting. I thought I enabled it though?

My guess is that secure boot needs to be set a certain way to allow UEFI capsule updates. Since most Windows users don’t see this, my guess is that setting is Secure Boot ON.

You use secure boot, but perhaps BitLocker is interfering (once activated, it secures your BIOS from alteration by a running OS maybe?)

I’ve used Secure Boot with a lot of other devices. This has never been a problem that I’ve experienced, however that also depends on the firmware update system in use. Normally the process is to suspend BitLocker and do the firmware update, and in the case of the H20 updater it actually detects BitLocker and offers to disable it for you, so it’s created with BitLocker scenarios in mind.

Messing with certain BIOS settings will result in BitLocker dropping the key and requiring the unlock key to restore access to the encrypted drive (which also means it will stop your computer from booting). Nothing in BitLocker should restrict firmware access, and disabling it would be one such condition that would wipe the key. I’m not opposed to that; it’s just a PITA to enter forty characters :wink: !

As for Secure Boot: it’s enabled by default on most OEM devices for the last near-decade. Certain IT groups might disable it to enable some PXE-based chainloaders to work, but otherwise I’m skeptical that it’s the cause of the problem, but as with Bitlocker, I’m not necessarily ruling it out.

I’ll mess with stuff and see what magic happens later!

Edit – And so I did.

I did an in-place upgrade of Windows 11 and afterwards I was able to run the firmware updater. So that’s interesting.

I’ll continue to track things and report back!

1 Like

Ok, so I left something out.
Before I could reinstall Windows 11, it refused to kick off the installer. Weird, right? But then I figured out why: the Surface Pro 4 I copied my installation from only had a 32MB EFI system partitition, and in the process I kinda wrecked the recovery partiiton.

No harm, no foul; when I copied the partitions over, I intentionally changed the order, going from EFI/Volume/Recovery to EFI/Recovery/Volume. So all i needed to do was blow away the broker recovery partition and expand my EFI partition into that. Since EFI is really just FAT32 with a different type assigned, expanding the partition was a piece of cake.

So I expand, install Windows 11, and then I run the firmware update and it works.

Today, for fun I decided to poke around…

Interesting: there’s an Insyde folder. That wasn’t there before!

It’s currently empty, so I can’t confirm anything, but if the size of the firmware update package (and the files inside are any clue), then the firmware might need more space. Typically this isn’t a problem for me; I usually cut my EFI partitions a healthy 384-512MB of disk space. But the stock size of ~32mbish that I grabbed from my Surfboard just wasn’t enough except for the bare, bare minimums.

TL;DR: do this:

…That is, in an Admin-elevated command prompt, start Diskpart, select your boot drive, and list the partitions. Check the size of your system partition and report back.

If you want to explore it and potentially wreck your boot configuration, you can Select Partition # (with # indicating your system partition), and then type assign to give it a random drive letter. List volume will show you what its been assigned, and from there you can exit diskpart, and perform a dir on the drive to gawk at the EFI partition. When I mess with it, I often rename it with an !exclaimation point to ensure I can easily revert, but be careful as this can result in breaking boot, so have installation media available.

As for me: I need to figure out whether and how to best move the brand new recovery partition that the reinstall has blessed me with.

1 Like

Just wondering if there is a short updates that we can get on the latest BIOS revision, i.e. timeline, issues being worked on? Just curious, I know that getting this stuff right is extremely difficult and time consuming.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I just found an issue with 3.02 bios( strange, I thought it’s 3.03 beta). Looks similar to the issue with 3.06, but in my case it will not even boot. Here is a link to my issue: