Public Beta Test: 11th Gen BIOS v3.06 + Driver Bundle 2021_10_29

I redownloaded v3.06 so in my file explorer is have 3.06.exe and 3.06_2.exe. I can try both again since I was up late doing this. Standby…

1 Like

No go. I tried the 2 downloaded files from last night then after 2 unsuccessful reboots, I decided to come back to this thread, and at the top grab the v3.06 again and still no go.

Could it be a BIOS setting that I need to turn off/on?

Thanks

1 Like

I am dual booting windows and arch. I installed both the updated bundle and the bios. a windows updated also happened. i suspect it was the bios update that erased the grub boot and restored just the windows boot. i had to remount the drives using the arch usb drive and reinstall the grub config.

1 Like

Fair… is there a way to update the BIOS outside the OS? Rufus or FreeDOS capable?
For myself - just Windows 11 - never from Win10 to 11, just 11 all the way through…

1 Like

I used the windows 10 install iso from MS. i ran both the update installer executables from windows. while having an iso image is handy if you are linux only, for my use case, it was easiest to just run the installers with windows.

1 Like

Understood…
Does anyone know of/heard of Rollback RX - from this site - https://horizondatasys.com/rollback-rx-time-machine/rollback-rx-home/

I have it installed - kind of like Time Machine but for Windows… does anyone think that that could be an issue with these BIOS updates?

1 Like

Also please let me know if I need to post this on its own thread
Thx

1 Like

@Eric_Campbell

Question, in the 3rd photo, did you then tell it to continue? It’s an alarming message, but ok to continue.

Do you have a photo of a failure message?

1 Like

@ImaxinarDM and all - sorry - the photos are out of order… the top one is the final, the middle is the first and the bottom is the second - once I said OK, I end up at the top one every time - whether redownloading it (v3.03 or v3.06) as suggested earlier in the thread…

Quite a head scratcher…

1 Like

Ah, me bad… Yes it is interesting. I just did mine tonight, updated firmware 1st and then the drivers.

Can you try another USB drive as well. Maybe it has a problem writing a temp file…

:thinking:

1 Like

Ah… watch, that could be the issue as I have only been trying the .exe files for the bios off the C:\Downloads folder… classic mistake on my part… standby… (downloading them to a flash drive then running from that…)

2 Likes

Ugh. No go.

I tried 2 sticks, though the same manufacturer but different sizes (one was a 32gb the other was a 64gb)… disabled quick boot (thinking maybe that was it but not so enabled it)… same pic in my original post (top one) - invalid firmware image…

1 Like

It worked fine for me today, w/10 running though… Avoiding 11 as long as possible.

Weird for sure.

2 Likes

Try downloading via another computer if you have one) directly to the USB drive.

Other thing I did was turn off ALL programs running… Disconnected from the internet, no anti-virus, temp monitors, nothing but vanilla windows running.

1 Like

Ok, I have another computer I can try to and I will also shut down everything in terms of programs… fingers crossed

2 Likes

@Eric_Campbell looks like things are ok on the windows side.
The bios is failing the update due to integrity/signature checks.

1. the bios update runs a capsule updater on your boot partition, maybe the partition is too small to copy over the capsule update file.

2. Have you adjusted any secure boot settings in the bios? Or enrolled your own keys to enable self signed Linux kernel modules? The bios update requires a DB key from Framework to be present to validate the firmware update. If this was somehow removed then the capsule update would not be valid. So if you have any additional background it might help me reproduce what is happening to you.

1 Like

(@Kieran_Levin I would love to see these certificates officially released; I have offered copies over in this thread.)

2 Likes

Can confirm, tried that yesterday and updating the BIOS to 3.06 worked without issues.

1 Like

I also forked it when you did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know why the main board was switched away from realtek?

Are us realtekers no on inferior boards?

1 Like