Question on the 180W power supply

Yes.

See my reply right above your post.

Also see Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - 180W Power Adapter

180W covers the majority of use cases while still being extremely compact.

3 Likes

Do you want to know a secret?
The current Framework laptop supports third-party chargers greater than the 60W charger it comes with too ;^)

3 Likes

This is partially untrue by my understanding, the current GPU will use more power than the cable provides at heavy loads thus taking from the battery while in use. I still agree with the decision to use USB-C though and not to wait until they can get a 240W charger out to customers.

It’s not a certain game, it’s running synthetic benchmarks on cpu and gpu. Or doing something like scientific calculations. If this is a problem for you, you probably need an actual workstation anyway

1 Like

Edit: I misinterpreted the claim from framework and wrongly assumed the +180W power draw cannot be achieved by the current config.

The reason framework makes a 180W PSU right now, is that the current configs don’t need more power. You can load up your computer as much as you want, but you won’t exceed the 180W at all. They do however support the full USB-PD standard up to 240W in case they or anyone else wants to develop a GPU module, that uses more power than the current one.

Same thing abou the CPU, maybe next generation, the CPUs need a bit more power, well now they don’t need to redesign everything and you only need to buy the things you need.

And I guess they didn’t go for the full 240W on the charger, since that would make it

• more bulky
  • more expensive

It seems like you didn’t read his post. He quotes Framework, where they say that it can indeed exceed 180W with the dGPU, if you push it.

Here:

But in most cases it will be fine. Even loads that hit over 180W would be ok, as long as you don’t expect it to do that indefinitely with no chance to recover. If you do insist upon running max load indefinitely, then you may need to get an AC adapter that provides more.

2 Likes

I always interpreted that as only being able to happen if you were to use a more powerful graphics module than the 7700S and them just having the option for you to use your battery is a backup.

But I guess I interpreted that wrongly. So sorry for the misinformation. It would be interesting to see how the laptop would actually dissipate 180W (or potentially more) as heat continuously though.

1 Like

Anyone using a third-party 240W power supply? What’s the actual power draw from FW16 with a dGPU?

They don’t exist yet

2 Likes

Is it possible to DIY one with a powerful DC-DC or AC-DC and some sort of “USB-PD trigger”?

I’m not the guy to ask, but my gut says no. My impression is the usb c pd stuff is complicated.

You’re basically describing building a 240W USB-PD power supply. I don’t think the 240W controller chips are available, at least in small quantities for hobbyists yet.

The controller ICs don’t exist yet. The newest, highest power one is 180W…which is what Framework is using. This is actually the world’s first 180W USB PD power supply.

6 Likes

IIRC Framework shared at one point that the 180W power brick actually uses chips that support 240W PD but Framework limited it to 180W to keep the charger compact. So the ICs do exist.

I believe they are using a Weltrend WT6676F, it only goes up to EPR 36V.

~edit~

1 Like

About an hour of playing Helldivers 2 while using the 180W charger and the load drained the batter 12%. In 8.5 hours the battery fell from 90% to 20%.

3 Likes

You do seem to be correct.

Now the only statements I can find are Framework stating that they expect 240w bricks to hit the market because the ICs are available.

The closely related Weltrend WT6677F does support EPR 48v.

A press release mentions the WT6677F, but they don’t have a page for it yet. So I presume it’s not quite available yet.
weltrend.com/en-global/product/index/65/112

Six months and someone FINALLY answers my question. Seriously, it’s like no one in this thread even read my question.
Thanks @CJ_Elevated.
Now I just need to know who’s going to be making that magical 240W power supply I keep hearing about. It’s been six months since I made this post and I’ve heard no news on anyone making one anytime soon, so the question now is:

How far into the future are we going to have to wait before we get one?
(Side note: I don’t expect anyone to answer this as nobody knows.)

3 Likes

Hi. Wanted to order a 240W power supply from SlimQ, but decided to ask them about it first. Here’s what I got back: “The Type-C can go up to 140W at the moment. Type-C go over 240W does not exist.”