Real-world battery life experience FW13 AMD

I’m also using 2x16 Kingston and a Lexar NM710 2TB. Idling at 5W and going up to 10W just typing here on Firefox on NixOS.

Do you think it might be the Lexars? I’m not sure they draw more power if they aren’t being accessed, but yeah this is pretty awful.

I would be honestly very surprised if that turned out to be the case.

I chose this SSD after a careful selection/comparison where I valued the efficiency to performance ratio the most.

Just cause it has a low Wh/GBw doesn’t mean it has particularly good idle power but in this case it very likely isn’t the issue.

You may want to check if apst is working right (item 4 here)

Thanks for that.

Yeah, seems to be enabled.

rei@udon ~ [1]> sudo nvme get-feature /dev/nvme0 -f 0x0c -H
get-feature:0x0c (Autonomous Power State Transition), Current value:0x00000001
	Autonomous Power State Transition Enable (APSTE): Enabled

I’ll try pulling one of my DIMMs to see how much that reduces consumption. If it’s significant, maybe the RAM’s just not a good fit for this machine.

Edit: Yeah, if anything, using half the RAM seems to increase power draw by 0.2-0.3 watts at idle. Maybe it’s caching more, though I don’t think I’m running particularly many background services either.

Good, then it’s unlikely to be the ssd.

In my testing that made barely enough difference to be measurable but nowhere near enough to be worth cutting memory bandwidth in half.

2 Likes

So that probably rules out both of the non-Framework components, which is good to know.

Then with the other hardware being the same as the 7040U machines running Windows at 2.5W, there has to be something going on in software.

Not that that’s particularly new information, but it looks like some people are getting slightly better power performance even on Linux?

1 Like

2.5W?! Damn, lowest I got with the screen on was like 2.7.

You got PPD or TLP running right?

I am personally pretty content with the power consumption on Linux (appart from the borked hardware decoding consumption)

2 Likes

PPD, yeah.

I’m getting 4.5-5 at best with the screen set to absolute lowest and running nothing at all.

Edit: Found the link. 2.5W idle is from an i7 Framework from a couple years ago. Both Windows and Fedora.

So… yeah, I feel like this machine could do a bit better.

3 Likes

Yeah 2.5 is also something my old t480s could do with min brighness under linux. But I am ok with 2.7 min idle especially since min brighness on the framework is a bit brighter than on the t480s.

Could always be better but mine does pretty ok as long as there is no video playback involved.

Got it down to 3.2 idle with a few things:

• TLP helps alongside PDD
  • powertop --auto-tune
  • Docker, even with no containers, causes interrupts, so that was pretty big
  • Switch from xmonad on X to Hyprland on Wayland (Wayland’s power draw seems to be basically the same as text mode when idle)
  • Remove SD card reader card, which draws power even when it’s vacant

Video on Firefox seems to be a lost cause at the moment. Forcing vaapi causes intermittent juddering and is still not all that great of an improvement.

1 Like

Same here, ended up returning the single 32GB Crucial stick and keeping the 2x16 I had before

But those 0.3W XD

1 Like

You could also do this in KDE power management settings. Are you just giving a general solution for those not on KDE or…? Why udev?

3.5W with 46 tabs (6 active over 3 windows) on Firefox using gfx.webrender.all in about:config! Not bad!

2 Likes

Power Devil’s permissions do not allow it to write to the sysfs. So the scripts do not work. udev rules run as root and they can also trigger on power state change.

PPD would be a better solution. I personally wrote a power manager in C++, because I felt like it (it’s very basic and has basically no functionality but it was a nice little project).

More savings: Down to 3.1W idle swapping the AMD/Mediatek radio with the Intel AX210.

Also much better wifi signal (90%+ vs 60) and better speeds.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that AMD and Mediatek have an arrangement where manufacturers are required to sell the CPUs and wifi chip together, so it may that the Framework is being forced to sell the AMD with a subpar radio.

Definitely another point in favor of a thoroughly upgradeable laptop, in that we have an escape hatch out of that kind of political nonsense.

Is this compared to your post around 10 days ago where you were down to 3.2w idle so changing out the card is delivering better performance with 0.1w idle power savings?

The trying to get a sense of scale (IE what are the biggest things you’ve found have made a difference)?

Sorry, yeah, that’s with a bunch of tabs open. 2.8-2.9 idle.

It’s hard to say what I did was the biggest… they were all in the range of a couple hundred milliwatts. Disabling Docker seems to have been big, maybe 400mW or so, which is a bit disappointing because it seems to suck power (specifically it causes interrupts) even when I have no containers running.

Also, slightly unrelated, but I’ve given up on Firefox because it seems to go glitchy with hardware video decoding enabled.

Maybe switching to Podman is an option for you? It doesn’t require a daemon to run, therefore when no containers are running nothing at all is running.

1 Like

Oh you’re right! good idea, thanks!