Replaced NVMe, now I get "read only filesystem" sometimes on wake

I have gone the clonezilla route in the past, and everytime there was some slightly buggy behavior. At this point I prefer to do a fresh install on a new drive. I do a fresh backup. Install the new drive, install the distro of choice (Fedora for the past 5 years), restore my files from backups, and reconfigure, reinstall software (I will probably have this part automated soon).

If you need help feel free to @ me.

1 Like

The reason I went the Clonezilla route was that I’ve got so many things tweaked just the way I like. I’ve got Scrivener working (the old Linux beta) and a bunch of apps that were all a little fidgety. So I could get them all back that way again, but I’d have to take a lot of notes and then it would take probably a few days. So I figured… you know…

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I have also been having problems after suspend starting in the last month or so.

It’s really disappointing because I used to have a good setup. It would sleep, then hibernate after 30 minutes.

cat /sys/power/state                                                                                                          
freeze mem disk

cat /sys/power/disk                                                                                                           
[platform] shutdown reboot suspend test_resume

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep                                                                                                      
[s2idle] deep
1 Like

Suspend should work fine. Suspend to hibernate (older article but gives you the general idea) is a whole different thing. Suspend (deep) should be fine on our mainstream distros.

Fedora 37: s2idle deep, suspend. Resume with quick power button press.

Ubuntu 22.10: s2idle deep, suspend. Resume with quick power button press.

UPDATE: It’s only been a few days, so not enough data to be sure, but since I ran fstrim I haven’t seen the problem again. I’m on the less “sleepy” sleep option, so I lose more battery overnight, but at least I’m not getting the “can’t write the journal” errors anymore.

TL;DR: I think my NVMe is OK and that the 1.1 TiB of garbage collected by fstrim was the likely culprit.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m actually not entirely sure what modes the system is going through.

So far, I’ve excluded s2idle as a culprit. (Both because it never repros when plugged in, and also because it doesn’t repro on battery when I set AllowSuspend=no in systemd’s sleep.conf

So my next bit of understanding is trying to figure out what exactly happens when AllowSuspend=yes is triggered. I’ll keep working on it over the holidays when I get time

1 Like