[RESOLVED] Kernel 6.4 hang at boot TPM Bug Confirmed

Chiming in to mention debian unstable. Kernel package versions 6.4.0-1 and 6.4.0-2 (these are debian versions, not kernel versions) were failing as everyone else described above. Adding tpm_tis.interrupts=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/defaults/grub then sudo update-grub allowed booting.
This is on a 12th gen laptop.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for that, I added this to one of our pinned Debian guides a community member put together.

This is fixed with linux-image-6.4.0-3-amd64 Version 6.4.11-1

2 Likes

This is correct.

I think the kernel has regressed. I’m unable to shutdown on arch with 6.5.3-arch1-1 and a FW 12th gen. I tried the flag (using systemd-boot) with no success. I realize that this is not a supported setup. The issue is present when using a live image and when exiting the bios too. I don’t even use the TPM for anything (that I am aware of); is there a way to outright disable it?

1 Like

It came back to me at some linux6.4 release (forgot the patchlevel) but was able to disable it via the tpm_tis.interrupts=0 boot parameter.

Will report back when I rebooted with linux6.5.

1 Like

I am now on a fresh install of fedora 38. Still didn’t work so I updated. Current grub options “BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt2)/vmlinuz-6.4.15-200.fc38.x86_64 root=UUID=7bd081c4-38ea-427c-b924-125b6b8a1af7 ro rootflags=subvol=root nomodeset rhgb quiet tpm_tis.interrupts=0”. I have restored bios settings. I am going to give Windows 11 a go. At this point I am starting to think that this is a separate issue.

1 Like

Definitely not the kernel. I am now running Windows with no success. Opened a support ticket :frowning:

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much for keeping this thread in the loop and also opening a ticket. Updates like this save us so much time, really appreciate it.

Hm. My kernel has updated once since I reported me being fixed and I’m still good. I’m on linux-image-6.4.0-4-amd64 Version 6.4.13-1 on Debian testing.

2 Likes