[RESOLVED] Linux and Fractional Scaling

As of today, both Ubuntu 22.04 & 22.10 (GNOME) guides have instructions for getting fractional scaling to work more precisely than merely 100 to 200%. With the recommended change, you will get 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, and 275% as your display options.

At this time, Ubuntu MATE is still very much an x11 only environment. This is from the project founder, Martin Wimpress.

Hopefully this provides greater guidance regarding fractional scaling, you really need Wayland - not X11, for a good experience.

Now, if you want to try something on Ubuntu or Fedora GNOME environments that may break stuff on X11, this is what you’d use - again, this is not tested and may not work or just break things.

x11 on GNOME:

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['x11-randr-fractional-scaling']"

If you find this breaks on X11, undo it with:

gsettings reset org.gnome.mutter experimental-features

Hopefully this clears things up.

I’m out until Tues, have a fantastic New Years everyone!

3 Likes

Hey, I’m trying to get the least worst fractional scaling experience, but when I click the links on the guides linked above they 403, even though I have set up accounts on both guides.frame.work and community.frame.work (why are these separate accounts?)

Are the guides deprecated or something?

1 Like

This is an old thread. The guide linked was Fedora 37 which is no longer supported. Follow the guide for Fedora 38 or 39.

As of 2023-12-11 I can’t find information on fractional scaling in any Framework guides.

But perhaps that is simply because the supported distros now have default support for percentages including 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, and 275%. That was true for me in Ubuntu 22.04.3.

I’ve seen glitches when changing parameters, including windows that persistently were cut off on the right side until I deleted them and re-opened them. But fractional scaling seems to be working fine for me most of the time.

1 Like