[RESOLVED] WiFi disconnects, FW13 AMD, Fedora-KDE

Appreciate the hard work on this and the feedback. For those on wifi 6E connections, updating firmware is a must. Mind you, it’s limited to the OS install - so one would only need do a fresh install or create a clonezilla of their existing install if there are concerns. You are not writing anything in stone. :slight_smile:

A Workaround we see a lot of folks taking is using an Intel AX210 card - they are cheap, fairly easy to find and for some folks, have been the preferred backup plan until Mediatek issues are resolved. You will see Mario on the above linked launchpad report - he is hyper-actively working through these challenges and his track record is stellar - but this is new stuff and may take time. At this point, early reports on the new firmware are very positive.

Going back to the early years of the early wifi stack on Linux, I kept more than one PCMCIA wifi card available as bugs happen. Annoying beyond words at times, but such his the nature of new hardware and driver support sometimes.

I had a double-NAT situation with a mesh router (to get coverage to our 3rd floor) and I thought it hadn’t been a problem. I read up and switched the mesh router to its “Access Point” setting and now the Xfinity modem/router is handling all DHCP duties. I wish I had done this earlier as now the TV connects much quicker and as phones and tablets move throughout the house things are much more seamless. I guess all that DHCP craziness was more than the Mediatek/recent firmware/recent kernel could handle.

When I turn on the laptop from sleep, the wifi connection still takes a bit longer than it used to, 15-30 seconds. I’ve learned to hold off on logging in until it has a chance to reconnect. But the dropped connections and complete shutdown of wifi seem to be a thing of the past. I’m happy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Matthew_Shook , glad it’s now resolved.

1 Like