[RESPONDED] Any chance of trackpoint?

Yes, and the middle button should definitely double as both middle clicking and scrolling.

2 Likes

Hi folks. Sorry to burst bubbles, but just chiming in to state that there are no current plans for a trackpoint on our end, but who knows what 3rd Party devs will come up with in the future!

11 Likes

@TheTwistgibber
Hi there, thank you for your reply!
That is a really, really sad answer though. I have to stick to Thinkpads then, can’t bother to switch to a brand which slows down my productivity.

So it still stays - Only Thinkpads are tools, the rest are just toys.

I had hopes that the modularity of your concept oculd incorporate a trackpoint option, too, but too bad. But well, so we’ll have to come up with the integration ourselves…
Challenge accepted!

Best regards,
MT

5 Likes

@TheTwistgibber
Sad to hear that, but thanks for the official response.

1 Like

I fail to see how a negative comment like that could help in any possible way. Sounds a bit passive-aggressive to me.

That actually means their modular concept is great since any third-party can develop a solution to satisfy trackpoint users. I think asking Framework to create multiple variants of their products or to answer the needs of every small niche customers is:
a) unrealistic at this stage
b) goes against the ideology of Framework itself if they’re the sole one to produce parts

Something more constructive, here, would be to ask other manufacturers to join forces and develop accessories for the Framework.

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…if any Framework/Thinkpad owners want to chip in and help the below project, then your prayers for a Thinkpad/Framework will be answered.

4 Likes

As soon as I have a first test unit to showcase I will try FW funding and crowdfunding it. I believe if there is a first successful batch of a hundred units afterwards it will take off and self-finance the next experiments.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s an unfortunate response, though I appreciate that there’s an official statement from Framework. I’m also staying with ThinkPads until a decent pointing stick implementation is available for a Framework laptop.

I’ll monitor the developments here. To everyone coming up with alternative solutions, thank you.

8 Likes

I just want to add that I also would love to have a trackpoint and it was one of the reasons why I got a thinkpad instead of the framework when it came time to buy a new laptop. That and the spill resistance that thinkpads have, that has saved me more than once.

The palm rest does make adding one non-trivial, right? But isn’t the palm rest replaceable like everything else on the laptop?

3 Likes

The keyboard on the Framework 13 is very non-trivial in terms of design as it has tens of screws and is embedded in the palm rest similar to how HP keyboards are:

Then you have even more screws on the keyboard itself:

On the contrary Thinkpad keyboards have their own plate that sits on top of the input cover rather than being embedded key by key. They are held with 2 or 3 screws.

3 Likes

The confirmation of no trackpoint is really disappointing to see.
Can’t stand to use my framework 13 because of the touchpad, it’s rotting in my drawer while I use a lenovo t14.
I would have ordered a framework 13 trackpoint keyboard upgrade, or a framework 16 with trackpoint, in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Yep, I too would order a framework 16 with trackpoint in a heartbeat

6 Likes

Another vote and bump for trackpoint support.

Although 13 seems non-trivial, for the 16 it looks like the trackpad and keyboard are relatively easy to replace.

I’d also settle for less than a integrated trackpoint keyboard: if there was a way to just have a trackpoint nub with a regular trackpad and buttons, that would definitely work for me.

1 Like

Another vote as well. This would be an instant-buy for me if it had one.

4 Likes

I’ll add myself to the mix. I am a Thinkpad cultist as well and, if I had to buy a laptop right now, the only thing making me hesitant towards buying a Framework is being forced to use the touchpad after so many years. That would need physical buttons just below the keyboard like Thinkpads have, making it a niche product inside a niche, but the openness, modularity and customizability of Framework makes me hope for the best.

3 Likes

Aaaand another one. If there was the possibility to have (a similar good) trackpoint and designated buttons I would immediately buy a framework laptop.

3 Likes

This thread has 33K views, so clearly there is demand for a trackpoint. Why hold out on us thinkpad users, your biggest source of switchers? Does FW really think they are going to poach more buyers from Apple? I could probably do without the tackpoint my self, but I really, really, really want the hardware buttons.

Lack of trackpad/hw keys has kept me from buying FW13, but I sort of feel a need to upgrade the T460, and when the FW16 came out with an H, as in HOT cpu, i went ahead and ordered the AMD FW13.

I keep checking Lenovo just in case something pops up that is not crazy expensive with AMD, a decent screen and 32GB RAM – simply because of the keyboard/trackpoint/hw buttons. So maybe I will end up with that FW13 in Q3/4, maybe not.

5 Likes

Forgot to mention - I don’t care how thick the computer is.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to burst your bubble but the number of views alone doesn’t mean anything. That isn’t how you do a market research.

Mhmm. The Niche expansion card thread has 27k.

1 Like