[RESPONDED] Arch hibernation woes on AMD 13

As a data-point, hibernation still works on mine, latest arch, latest bios on the 7840U framework 13.

1 Like

@Adrian_Joachim can you get a high number of cycles using the stress test script I posted above?

Interesting it crashed after at least 8 cycles (didn’t pay attention to it after 8 and came back to it on the encryption password prompt).

Never had that happen in actual use before.

Edit: interesting, second run ended with frozen system after 10 cycles

1 Like

Yeah, you’ve just been lucky I guess :grimacing:

I am now 21 cycles into a run, all I changed was increase the wait between cycles fro 5 to 30s, This may be a going down when not quite up issue or something.

Edit: and just as I post this it freezes XD

1 Like

Linux 6.8.4 now includes possibly relevant changes:
"Greg Kroah-Hartman (12):
Revert “workqueue: Shorten events_freezable_power_efficient name”
Revert “workqueue: Don’t call cpumask_test_cpu() with -1 CPU in wq_update_node_max_active()”
Revert “workqueue: Implement system-wide nr_active enforcement for unbound workqueues”
Revert “workqueue: Introduce struct wq_node_nr_active”
Revert “workqueue: RCU protect wq->dfl_pwq and implement accessors for it”
Revert “workqueue: Make wq_adjust_max_active() round-robin pwqs while activating”
Revert “workqueue: Move nr_active handling into helpers”
Revert “workqueue: Replace pwq_activate_inactive_work() with [__]pwq_activate_work()”
Revert “workqueue: Factor out pwq_is_empty()”
Revert “workqueue: Move pwq->max_active to wq->max_active”
Revert “workqueue.c: Increase workqueue name length”
Linux 6.8.4
"
Testing suspend/hibernate now.
suspend works, hibernate wouldn’t start with systemctl hibernate–that is, screen blanked, power led stayed on, and screen/system resumed.
And after attempting to hibernate, returning from suspend takes ~30sec.

OK, a major hint: suspend and hibernate work fine using kernel 6.6.25-1. Kernel 6.8.4 breaks hibernate.
However, even using 6.6.25, resume from suspend after hibernating takes many seconds. Resume from hibernate is quick.
Manjaro Linux, KDE latest.

6.8.4 didn’t make a difference for me.

Looks like a relevant kernel (6.8.x) error has been patched upstream: [PATCH] PM: s2idle: Make sure CPUs will wakeup directly on resume - Anna-Maria Behnsen

looks like that patch fixes a bug that could end up in not reneabling clock(event) for all cores after a resume from suspend to idle, but isn’t this thread about problems with suspend to disk (hibernate) and suspend to ram?

Can confirm 6.8.4 is still doing it after 10ish cycles

1 Like

Hibernation still fails with 6.8.5 :frowning: 6.6.26 works fine.

Normal using it fine or doing more than 21 cycles of the stress-test fine?

Cause mine does the first but not the second.

Try this patch:
https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/20240328041720.276684-1-tim.huang@amd.com/

That’s not planned for stable but if it does help for you we can make a case to bring it to stable.

2 Likes

hibernation doesn’t work at all for me using 6.8.5, but works normally in 6.6.26 .

Thank you. I’m not compiling my own kernel, so will have to rely on other people testing the patch :frowning:

On 6.8.4 it mostly works, unless you run the stresstest then it freezes after 10-20 cycles. Never happened in actual use but quite reproducable

Starting cycle 48
Ending cycle 48
Starting cycle 49
Ending cycle 49
Starting cycle 50
Ending cycle 50

Yusss! 50 cycles!

Cool! I just sent a request out for it to be brought to stable from your testing.
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/CA+EcB1OKkBSj-VoJpyAgTxPEuj9EOBz-B6Li6fcByYjME7QxDQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u

3 Likes

Thank you! Kernel 6.8.6 does not seem to include it, as expected.

What did you do?