[RESOLVED] Display Output only working on one Slot

Hello,

I received my Framework Laptop and everything is working fine so far, except for video output.
According to Expansion Card Functionality on Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series) all slots except for number 2 should be capable of outputting video signal.
However i can only get a signal from slot 4 (bottom right).
All other slots don’t output to the HDMI and DisplayPort module or an external USB-C Hub.
Using lsusb I can see the HDMI card detected on the non working slots too.

This feels like either an issue with the distro or perhaps with the cable(s) themselves.

• Which distro are you using here? And kernel version?
  • Have you tried different cables - sounds ridiculous, but myself personally, I have corrected issues with switching out for different cables.

I used Fedora 39 beta and universal blue (based on fedora silverblue 38)
In the live environment the display seemed to work, but after install it did no anymore.
F39 kernel: 6.5.10-300.fc39.x86_64

I used both HDMI and DP cable, in both cases it was working in slot 4, but no other.

Let’s get this into a ticket so we can gather logs.

Update after upgrading the bios to 3.03 (had to find another power adapter, since my primary one takes too long to negotiate PD):
Slot 1 now works too
Slot 3 registers a display, but only outputs at 1024x768 max.
Going to fill in the Ticket tomorrow

Glad to hear you are up to date on current BIOS now. This definitely helps. Also wanted to make sure anyone else reading this sees our expansion bay/slot guide for Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series).

Note bay/slot 2 functionality.

Filing a ticket is the way forward. Thanks

1 Like

Update on this issue:
after some system updates the behaviour only persisted on slot 3 with HDMI card.
This card was replaced by support, since then everything works

1 Like

Fantastic news! Marking resolved.