[RESPONDED] Expansion Storage Temperature Linux (high in idle + how to measure)

Hi,

I found out that even if you have the expansion storage plugged into the device and not doing reading or writing onto it, it still gets quite warm. Also I don’t find a way to read the temperature of it. I saw the screenshots you could read in Windows (via a smart reader programm). Tried via smartctl and via sensors. No sensor went away when I unplugged it and hddparm says it doesn’t have a temp sensor.

Is there a way to fix this? Is really annoying getting this part getting warm/hot, when it doesn’t need to be. Seems to be the same even when the Expansion Storage is not even mounted.

(Using Fedora 39 Framework 13 AMD)

Hi @framy ,

Have you tried looking into this guide ?

basically talks about applying thermal pad to the expansion storage. cheers!

Mine is fairly new and should have one, right? And wouldn’t really solve the problem. My problem isn’t thermal throttling, but wanting the bottom side of the Laptop to not get that warm (Framework 13 AMD being relatively cool and quite, if not charged fast or so, btw), more cool more comfortable. If this thing gets so warm I could use an USB stick and unplug it when not in use, but I purchased it so can have it in the Laptop when I use it and not dangling on the side.

The thing is it gets warm at all if not being even mounted or read/written from. It seems to take a lot power and doesn’t really and idle mode, like SSDs normally have. Maybe a Linux/Fedora problem or a firmware problem.
Should be fairly easy to recreate.
I could try being in the BIOS for half am hour and see if has the same effect, that would mean it’s a firmware issue, probably.

Not that comfortable to have it in and getting warm without being used.

And the temperature sensor thing, is another issue, but not of that much importance. Maybe it is because I have a 250 GB and not 1TB, but at least the 1TB seems to show a temperature reading in Windows, as you can see here:

I’ve noticed a similar issue on Arch with a 1TB. Tried setting some udev rules to sleep it when not being used. Still gets very hot just being plugged in, whether it’s mounted or not. And Yeah I opened it up and made sure mine was one with a thermal pad, it has one.