[RESPONDED] Gentoo on the Framework Laptop

I used all 20 but I’m not sure if it was a good decision. Maybe we should test a bit.

Number of threads minus 1. If you’ve got 16 threads, then leave 1 for the UI, so you can do like so:

MAKEOPTS=“-j15”

Here’s the reference

Even efficiency threads?
Shouldn’t you use only performance threads (the ones from the performance cores only on 12th gen)?

I don’t know if including efficiency cores into the thread pool makes much difference, compared to only limiting the number of threads to performance cores, but is generally recommended to leave at least one thread for UI.

Hello, I couldn’t figure out how to install graphics drivers for Intel iris. Did you figure it out? What should I do to make it work? Because of that, I had to switch over to Arch Linux until the solution is found

Yes, I’ve got it working (using modesetting driver for OpenGL) and Intel OpenCL:

Intel video driver does not seem to work properly, but modesetting does, even though it’s less performant than Intel usually.

That’s okay, Arch Linux also uses modesetting apparently. Thanks, I’ll try installing it after backing up my system then

You can see my dot.files here: GitHub - madjestic/dot.files: sys config files
Just a side-note: I am not using initramfs, nearly everything is compiled into a kernel blob.

I tried -j16 and UI didn’t glitch at all, interestingly enough. When using Firefox autoscroll, I didn’t notice hangups and freezes

Another update. I installed Gentoo again, now that I know how to configure Intel drivers, and on top of it, installed GentooLTO overlay, configured compiler flags and sourced GentooLTO’s own flags, system is very snappy, and works well. Got fingerprint reader to work. Bluetooth, audio, everything works smoothly!

With TLP default configuration, system idled at 1.9 Watts power usage. I’m using Linux-TKG tickless kernel

1 Like

Could you

Could you share your configuration?
I am mostly interested in:
/usr/src/linux/.config
/etc/portage/make.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*

I’m unsure how to share configuration here, but I can tell this.
/etc/make.conf has these key parameters
VIDEO_CARDS=“intel”

In order for GentooLTO to work, this file ends with:
source /etc/portage/make.conf.lto
Meanwhile, make.conf.lto is configured to use GentooLTO overlay flags

xorg.conf.d/* has nothing, I didn’t have to configure it in order to work properly

Oh, and /usr/src/linux/.config is mostly borrowed from the Linux-TKG kernel, I’m not running the default Gentoo kernel, and compile linux-tkg-bore-llvm with full LTO

Sorry to bump an old thread.

has anyone been able to the 12th gen to work on the LTC kernel?

I’m having trouble with the touchpad and wifi being recognized.

I tried it, but Gentoo LTS kernel (5.15 at the time of writing) is just a bad idea to use on Alderlake architecture, because it does not distinguish between big and little cores, making performance and energy efficiency suffer. The hardware is very recent, so LTS kernel probably has issues with graphics drivers as well

1 Like

Not a Gentoo user myself (did Slack eons ago for a hot minute), but following this.

1 Like

I unmasked the 6.0 kernel and the screen was flickering pretty bad. How did you get the GPU setup?

When I used 5.15, the wifi drivers for the AX210 weren’t included. I had to keyword to ~amd64.

i think you are right
for the 17-1260p intel say 16 threads (4 p-cores *2 + 8 e-cores) because hyperthreading work only for the p-cores
and for the 17-1280p intel say 20 threads (6 p-cores *2 + 8 e-cores)