[RESPONDED] Here is how I got my Pop OS to work with my new AMD motherboard

You need to install linux-oem-22.04c while still using your old intel motherboard (or wherever you can get your Pop OS installation to boot). After you’ve installed it you can transfer your storage to the new motherboard and you should be fine.

1- On your current Pop OS 22.04, run sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04c
You should see two files in /boot folder. initrd.img-6.1.0-1024-oem and vmlinuz-6.1.0-1024-oem
2- Create a folder in /boot/efi/EFI called OEM and copy these two files into that folder and rename them
cp /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-1024-oem /boot/efi/EFI/OEM/initrd.img
cp /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-1024-oem /boot/efi/EFI/OEM/vmlinuz.efi

3- create an entry for systemd boot

cd /boot/efi/loader/entries
cp Pop_OS-current.conf OEM.conf

4- Edit this file and change the title to something like OEM 6.1 and also change the lines starting with linux and initrd. All you need to do is to make sure those lines look like this linux /EFI/OEM/vmlinuz.efi and initrd /EFI/OEM/initrd.img

5- Edit /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf and add this line to the bottom timeout 5

Now you are ready to move your storage to the new motherboard.
6- On the new motherboard press F2 while booting and go into secure boot menu and disable secure boot.

7- When booting, systemd-boot will pop up in the start and you should see OEM 6.1 as one of the entries select that entry and press d on your keyboard to set that as the default.

You’ll probably need to reconnect to your wifi and re-roll your fingerprint, but everything should be working fine.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I tried this but still get a black screen when logging in.

@Lee_Meysenburg Did you make sure to check uname -r, you should be running 6.1.0-1024-oem.

If you see the black screen you’re probably still using 6.5

Can you share the content of /boot/efi/loader/entries/OEM.conf?

uname -r shows 6.1.0-1024-oem

Do you by any chance have an extra kernel parameter set?

Can you share your OEM.conf file?

Also, when you see the black screen can you log into a tty, for example Ctrl+alt+F3?

I do not have any extra kernel parameter set.
If I try to login and get the black screen I cannot CTRL-ALT-F5, etc. If I do that before logging in I can.

I can now login with both the 6.1.0-1024-oem kernel as well as 6.5.6-76060506-generic.

I added blacklist radeon to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file.

1 Like

Interesting. What are the consequences of blacklisting radeon?

My system is using amdgpu as far as I can tell.

It shouldn’t have any repercussions that I know of. The system should be using the amdgpu driver but for some reason not having radeon blacklisted was causing the black screen.

Well this worked for a few reboots but now back to black screen after login with blacklist Radeon and on both kernels. :pensive:

Do you get the gpu time out error in journalctl?

I have been unable to get Pop_OS working as of yet. Black screen issues during install and lots of hanging. I did end up getting it installed but no matter what I try I just get a black screen after logging in.

Have you taken a look at this thread? Here is how I got my Pop OS to work with my new AMD motherboard

Even changing to kernel 6.1.0-1024-oem I was still getting the black screen when logging in.

I can now successfully login with both the 6.1.0-1024-oem kernel as well as the newer kernel, 6.5.6-76060506-generic.

I had to blacklist the radeon driver by adding:

blacklist radeon to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file, then running, sudo update-initramfs -c -k all

Well this worked for a few reboots but now back to black screen after login with blacklist Radeon and on both kernels. :pensive:

I do get the gpu timeout, yes.

All, please make sure to update your AMD 7040 Series BIOS.

2 Likes

pop os with 6.5.6 booted nicely with bios 3.03 :slight_smile:

1 Like