[RESPONDED] Mint on Framework 16?

I reinstalled using the EDGE iso and now everything works fine.

3 Likes

Now I am running into issues with using multiple displays. Mint doesn’t seem do play nice when trying to use multiple displace. It black screens on the lock screen. It will also think that displays are connected when they are not if you disconnect the display when it is suspended.

1 Like

From what I could find the weird lock screen issues are related to fractional scaling. To fix that issue, I changed the resolution to 1680x1050 and use 100% scale to be where I liked.

1 Like

It does seem like fractional scaling is causing weird issues.

Framework 16 with Linux Mint MATE user here (Batch 2). I’m late to the party, but spent several days distro-hopping until I found one that met my “special” needs, and Linux Mint MATE was it. For the record, the 16 does indeed boot with kernel 5.15…but suspend will be broken and the AMD iGPU (and, I presume, the dGPU when available) doesn’t get recognized. (Jumping to the latest 6.5 kernel addresses these issues.) Have tested most things successfully, other than video out (either from the dGPU or the side modules) and the fingerprint sensor (because reasons). There are a couple of minor quirks but I find the installation to be eminently usable as a daily driver.

2 Likes

glad to see others in the same boat. mainline Mint works ok for me, pretty happy with it. havent touched Linux in many years so its been an experience.

big issue im having is the AMD drivers had to be manually updated and it doesnt detect my dGPU no matter what i do

currently trying to update to the EDGE version to see if that fixes it, but if anyone has any other insights, they would be welcome.

Did you install the hwe Linux kernel

Linux-generic-hwe-22.04-edge?.

This will install the Ubuntu 22.04 6.5 kernel.

There are more hwe pacakges for newer hardware support.

Will try Linux Mint cinnamon myself, when it arrives in the next weeks. (Batch 4)

1 Like

installed Edge version from the Mint website, appears to have worked, since i can actually hear the GPU fans spinning up now, and i can run blender above 6fps

im not familiar enough with deeper system tools to get more information, but i think for now its fine.

1 Like

Are

glxinfo

or

glxgears -info

available to you? Those should get you started, at least.

Didn’t look into it, just looked up Linux mint edge, only variant is the cinnamon version. Guess I’m installing that :grin:

1 Like

After a few more days of testing (Edge Cinnamon). Mint really struggles with multiple displays as well as waking from suspend.

1 Like

Hmmm. I am doing neither, so this may work for me.

Wanted to start a thread specifically for Linux Mint, to see what you all think and if anyone has actually installed it on their new FW16. Explaining Computers (yt channel) really enjoys Linux Mint and I trust his judgement. Thinking of doing dual boot of Linux Mint and windows when I receive my FW16 or just go straight up Linux Mint. I am an iPhone user so I’ll have to figure that whole thing out in Linux Mint but I am hopeful. (Do a shot every time you read Linux Mint-:joy:) Cheers, looking forward to your comments.

I am a Mint user, for now over 2 years. Dumped windows on 5 machines.

For the FW 16, word here is to use Linux Mint Edge version.
I am on batch 12, so it will be awhile…

My order was in batch 5, and I’ve received my 16 on Friday. I have put it together and installed it with Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 Edge. It’s working well, but two times (once yesterday and once today) the desktop has crashed. The Panel disappears then the whole desktop locks up, and I can’t shutdown, I end up powering off, then back on to recover. Mint is fully patched and up-to-date. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Did you also try restarting Cinnamon with Ctrl+Alt+Esc? That has recovered a frozen desktop in the past for me, on other laptops.

2 Likes

No, I had not run across that work-around. I’ll try it next time this happens. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a similar issue when i use my external NVME-SSD (copying Files). The whole Computer freezes and i have to power down.

System:
Kernel: 6.5.0-26-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33
wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Framework product: Laptop 16 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) v: A7
Mobo: Framework model: FRANMZCP07 v: A7 UEFI: INSYDE v: 03.02

The suggestion above has helped me recover from this issue until today. I’ve found that my issue seems to have something to do with being logged in twice as two different users. When I’m only logged in once, everything is solid and stable.

But I got locked up today, and the above didn’t fix the issue. The panel was just gone. I’ve just installed another memory dimm and I’m hoping that the instability was memory related.

I’ve also discovered that I could CTRL-ALT-F1 to bring up an alternate text console, and log in there and force a clean reboot instead of holding the power button until it hard shuts off. That’s at least cleaner.

1 Like

A little more research, and I found that I can login via any of the F1-F6 virtual consoles as a different user (using CTRL-ALT-F#), then type startx and have a full graphical desktop session that gets around my problem with the other method, and is quicker to switch between them.

1 Like