[RESPONDED] Newbie looking to use Linux with macOS features

I’ve been a Macintosh user since 1984, but I also have maintained a farm of several dozen (at one time over 100) Linux-based servers (command-line only). I’m a big believer in FOSS and have been burned by Big Tech a few times too many, so I got a Framework 13 (AMD) a couple of months back and installed Fedora (most of my experience has been with Debian/Ubuntu, but I wanted to try something different). The transition isn’t trivial. You have to learn a number of different ways of doing things, particularly if (like me) you have nearly 40 years of overtrained memories. That said, I’m very happy to have made the transition. If you have any aliases or .webloc or .command files you need to work with, I wrote up some of my workarounds:

launching macOS .webloc and .command files in Linux – risley.net

I really miss LaunchBar – there doesn’t seem to be anything equivalent that’s Wayland-compatible. I also miss BBEdit, though I’m proficient in vim and I’m sure I’ll find a graphical editor that suits my needs. I’ve little doubt you’ll be able to find what you need as well.

Best of luck!

–2p

1 Like

I was going to suggest ElementaryOS or my FW13 AMD daily driver Fedora GNOME, however those are both a good bit different from macOS in various ways. Glad to hear that you might be going in the direction of Fedora! Welcome to the family if so!