[RESPONDED] Pop_OS! - Script to enable fingerprint

I’m sorry, I don’t have encryption here so I haven’t had to deal with this. What you’re doing is what I would have reached for first as well (cryptsetup luksOpen ...).

Thank you @RandomUser I managed to figure it out with your help! Among other things, I had forgotten to use the sudo elevation when using cryptsetup.

So here’s what worked for me in case anyone else finds themselves needing it (for encrypted drives):

lsblk
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p3 cryptdata
sudo lvscan
sudo vgchange -ay
sudo mount /dev/mapper/data-root /mnt
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo cp -n /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/
sudo chroot /mnt

cd /home/[user]/fprintd
ninja -C builddir uninstall

cd /home/[user]/libfprint
ninja -C builddir uninstall

pam-auth-update # <-- then uncheck "fingerprintd"
exit
reboot

You’ll want to note where the fprintd and libfprint folders are, mine were not located in a tmp folder, but just in my user folder. Thanks again y’all!

Edit: I figured out what went wrong for me in @rumlyne’s code and fixed it (they put pam instead of libpam for the first line):

sudo apt install libpam-fprintd
sudo pam-auth-update

This worked for me and hopefully for anyone else on Pop_OS! 21.10.

4 Likes

This is the correct way to do with the 12th gen laptops and PopOS 22.04 LTS.

3 Likes

This worked perfectly. Thank you kind sir.

1 Like

I get this error after executing

sudo apt install libpam-fprintd
sudo pam-auth-update

What Framework model?

I have three DIY units which all have Pop!_OS running (latest updates) with no issues for the fingerprint sensor. I just got the AMD model working before Christmas 2023 once there were some kernel updates made to the the distro.

The frame models are the DIY Intel 11th gen (i7-1185G7), DIY 12th Gen (i7-1280P), and DIY AMD (Ryzen™ 7 7840U]).

All these models work with the fingerprint sensor.

Given that the fingerprint sensor has not changed much, I would not imagine this being a hard item to get solved (for you).

I have the framework 13 with the amd 5

when I checked my AMD 7 Framework, I have it working with these main packages (and its dependencies):

• fprintd
  • libpam-fprintd

Did you check to make sure you have everything needed for the fingerprint sensor? libpam-fprintd does not handle the communication to the hardware

What do you mean with “everything needed for the fingerprint sensor”?

This post is over 2 years old and there is no other detail as to what you attempted or what you have installed or not installed.

I took the approach that you only had libpam-fprintd installed (and not the other packages).

There is a post on Ubuntu Fingprint Troubleshooting. As POP!_OS is based on ubuntu, hopefully this could help you out.

With the latest distribution of Pop!_OS and my own AMD laptop unit, I never had this much struggle now had to go to these lengths to get it working.

fprintd has commands within the package to enroll, delete, list, and verify:

• fprintd-delete
  • fprintd-enroll
  • fprintd-list
  • fprintd-verify

each of the commands have a man page to help you further.

Hope this helps you

NOTE: The above weblink has a 2nd article linked talking about Fingerprint Reader Firmware updates for the 13th Gen and AMD Ryzen 7040 series laptops. This seems to be related to what model of laptop you are using as the 11th/12th Gen Intel models have a different fingerprint sensor than the 13th Gen/AMD Ryzen models.

As I said:

I also re-installed fprintd, that was already installed.

All this following packages are also installed:

Now, fprintd-enroll gives me:

Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
failed to claim device: GDBus.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.Internal: Open failed with error: Please update firmware using fwupd

I just did follow this steps, fingerprint still not working, I get a notification about firmware update now, but if I try to “Update” I get this error:

this is taken from the web page
As root or with sudo permissions can you run this command:
fwupdmgr get-devices 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3

it will give you more detail about the fingerprint sensor and your laptop model

Selected device: Fingerprint Sensor
Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040Series)
│
└─Fingerprint Sensor:
      Device ID:          23ec719b6aabc2d2dac5176c232f0da7a21881b0
      Summary:            Match-On-Chip fingerprint sensor
      Current version:    01000320
      Vendor:             Goodix (USB:0x27C6)
      Install Duration:   10 seconds
      Serial Number:      UIDXXXXXXXX_XXXX_MOC_B0
      Update State:       Failed
      Problems:           • An update is in progress
      Last modified:      2024-03-18 22:43
      GUID:               1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C
      Device Flags:       • Supported on remote server
                          • Device can recover flash failures
                          • Updatable
                          • Signed Payload
1 Like

According to the webpage/guide, the firmware needs to be updated.

If I had to estimate, you have the firmware update that was installed via apt. The article has detail on how to get the latest version of this specific piece of software. As Pop!_OS was built from the Ubuntu distribution, my suggestion is to read that webpage article as there is a good amount of detail.

I am not going to be able to give any further advice on this topic as I have the older version of the fingerprint reader; I upgrade my 11th Gen hardware model by replacing the motherboard with the AMD model.

1 Like

My bad, I did miss the last command sudo systemctl reboot -i and made a normal reboot. It does work now! Thanks very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

AWESOME to hear!! Congratulations on the update.

The firmware software updates are tricky at times.

Before I mark this as a guide, are we all agreeing that follow the OP’s steps and rebooting works for Pop? Asking as we do not test against Pop.