[RESPONDED] [REQUEST] Keyboard backlight control missing from Linux (gnome/kde)

Hello,
I would like to request to add support for controlling the keyboard backlight from the OS in Linux.
It was possible on my DELL and I was a bit surprised to see that it’s missing here. I’m all for exposing low-level stuff in a user-friendly way as long as it doesn’t pose any risk of being misused/causing harm.

A keyboard backlight slider would also make it immediately clear to the end user that the feature exists, since the Fn + spacebar combo might be missed by some (yes, I’ve seen posts online by FW laptop users finding out their laptop had the hardware for this after more than a year of using it daily).

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

It’s being worked on
[RESPONDED] Controlling the keyboard backlight through /sys

2 Likes

Also just my personal take, Would prefer any UI frontend effort whether Gnome or KDE extension/widget, should be coming from the community. :slight_smile:

Hi Loell,
to clarify my request, this was just about making the necessary bits available to the kernel, and that’s something the OEM has to do, usually (at least AFAIK) :slight_smile:

UIs already exist both in Gnome and KDE to expose a slider control once the necessary bits are exposed by the kernel

1 Like

Thanks for the link, sounds great!

1 Like

Ah alright, got it. :smiling_face:

Yep, just upgraded my GNOME (to >= 45) and the keyboard backlight slider works (although it seems to be a bit buggy, I am not exactly sure why, and I suspect this might actually be a bug in the kernel module, but I haven’t looked into this yet).

1 Like

FTR, looks like it was a bug in GNOME and now it works perfectly fine after upgrading to 45.1.