[TRACKING] Screen flashing partially white on Framework 13 AMD, Ubuntu 22.04

Oh, looks like I missed the “completion guide” when I was setting up. I’m now running the OEM kernel installed by the linux-oem-22.04d package. I’ll see whether the display problems persist.

1 Like

Update: Switching to the kernel from the linux-oem-22.04d package (currently 6.5.0-1016-oem) seems to have resolved the issue for me. I didn’t need to make any other changes. (Whoops, I spoke too soon: I’m still having the issue.)

Thanks for being on top of this, @Matt_Hartley! With this fix, my laptop is finally totally usable.

This issue went away for me after upgrading to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Alpha w/ 6.8 kernel. I had a whole host of other issues along with that and I can honestly say its infinitely more stable.

Usually the whole screen flickered, external displays too. So many other issues with hdmi, power. Beta bios and ubuntu update with 6.8 it’s all gone.

It looks a lot worse in person, but I had to convert to a gif since I can’t upload a video reply

I knew I couldn’t be the only one.

ezgif-6-62536ff680

I can’t tell you how happy I am to finally have a laptop that works for the first time since early Nov… Unfortunately it developed one dead pixel right smack in the middle of the screen yesterday though, smh.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Doesn’t wake up after going into suspend.

Yep, Ubuntu 24.04 is a ways off before it’s ready to be used reliably yet. Even after its release, it will be bug patching season for at least a couple of weeks. (edited for clarification)

Just wanted to add that I have had this problem on both Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04LTS on the FW13 AMD version with 64GB RAM both on the internal monitor and external displays.

I have done the ‘first’ fix above in terms of changing the iGPU setting in the BIOS and hope that that will fix it for now.

Had success fixing this issue when connecting my FW13 AMD to an LG monitor over USB-C. Using Fedora 39, ran the command sudo grubby --args="amdgpu.sg_display=0" --update-kernel=ALL and after a reboot, there was no more white flickering on screen!

1 Like

Installing the OEM kernel (from the linux-oem-22.04d package) and flipping the iGPU into UMA_Game_Optimized mode seems to have resolved the issue for real this time. I’ve been using this configuration for about two weeks, and I’ve opened the laptop many times without a problem.

Yep, Ubuntu is a ways off before it’s ready to be used reliably yet.

In my previous thirteen years of running Ubuntu (LTS versions 10.04 through 20.04, on a System76 Pangolin Performance and a Dell XPS 13), I never had issues anywhere near as severe as the ones I’ve encountered in my two months with a Framework 13.

Edited my statement above to include 24.04 which is not released yet. Ubuntu itself, is very stable when a release is fully baked and had time to iron out new release kinks.

Last I checked, neither of those companies are working with like for like hardware that we are offering, so that is apples to oranges. Comparing a brand new offering to an older hardware release (you indicated 10.04 through 20.04 on a Pangolin Performance and a Dell XPS 13) is not a fair comparison.

Glad to hear this has helped as explained in our guides. Excited to hear this has been resolved for you.

As mentioned here, BIOS 3.05 (currently in beta) fixed the issue for me.

Just to add one more voice - I ran into this on my new AMD Framework 13 myself. It would sometimes exhibit the problem after coming out of sleep, seemingly consistently if GNOME has a light-colored window expanded when coming out of sleep, but that may have been a total coincidence (it happened 3-4 times in a row, I flipped to an empty desktop, had it sleep and unsleep, and it was fine). I followed the same steps as Aaron_Fenyes up there, hoping the issue will not resurface.

Has anyone else seen black flickering instead of white flickering?

I’ve noticed a white band flickering down the very right most column of the screen which is new behaviour with fc40 kernel and the 6.8 fsync Nobara kernel. This maybe plasma Wayland 6 tho. But once it appears logging out to sddm or restarting graphical-target doesn’t clear it until a reboot. Most easily triggered by running a full screen game.

While I do have a slightly different version, adding the amdgpu.sg_display=0 worked for me.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash mem_sleep_default=deep amdgpu.sg_display=0"
It also helps to put the right kind of comma in when typing it manually.

Framework 13 AMD Running Debian 12 Wayland

Is it possible to put this

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

add amdgpu.sg_display=0

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to change it to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.sg_display=0"

then

sudo update-grub && reboot

in the ubuntu 22 AMD framework guide?

https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/ubuntu-22.04-amd-fw13.md

I saw the suggestion of amdgpu.sg_display = 0 everywhere but had a difficult time figuring out how to set kernel parameter, until I saw this.

Second Question:
Is there a new linux-oem-22.04(next LETTER) coming? Since Ubuntu 24 is release and they are on 6.8 right?

The notes for 24.04 say not to bother with the OEM any more, just use stock Ubuntu : Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Guides

I meant for those of us who are staying with Ubuntu 22(me). I am hoping for Framework to officially support one of the kernels versions.

I understand the hesitation, but I don’t expect they’ll bump the supported OEM on 22.04 given the default kernels on 24.04 are fine.

I did the upgrade just now; seamless :slight_smile:

I see. I was thinking they would move the kernel version since 22.04 is (afaik) still an official supported Distro, and the white flickering was very real problem (for me).

I did the BIOS upgrade and set the kernel parameter. So far (1 day) crazy white flickering when I disconnect or connect external monitor has not come back. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm if the BIOS fixes it or the kernel parameter fixes it because I did both at the same time.

Re: kernel. I think I can afford to wait a little.

Did you upgrade to 24 or upgrade kernel on 22? If latter, any chance you can share how to perform the kernel version upgrade? When I come back to this months down the line.

It’s definitely the kernel param that fixes the white flicker, had it myself.

I did a full inplace upgrade from 22.04 to 23.10 a while back. Then again to 24.04 today.

Just followed the notes here : NobleNumbat/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu - Ubuntu Wiki

edit: I’ve removed the kernel param and no issues so far under 24.04. Per the BIOS notes I’ve gone in and turned the ‘gaming’ mode off and one again. 4G of RAM has vanished but gpt4all is usable again :slight_smile:

1 Like