[RESPONDED] Video decoding acceleration in Linux

@Matt_Hartley could you clarify on this? It sounds like you are saying Framework doesn’t support hardware acceleration by default? I’m trying to fix a slow laptop problem and I thought it might be related to this. Even live booting from usb for Ubuntu didn’t solve my problem.

Basically saying that the only changes we recommend to a vanilla installation are those provided in the guides.

We’ve found historically that unless you’re very careful, random changes can make matters worse. I also understand that many people elect to go ahead, but they also understand that we will not be able to provide ticket support when something breaks unless they’re willing to restore to a point as outlined in our guides.

Now, that said, we encourage you to do what you feel is best - then the community support can help get you squared away if going this direction is what you need. I just want to make sure you understand that this is community territory.

1 Like

Thanks @Matt_Hartley. Does Ubuntu have a suggested debugging guide then? My laptop has been a little slow since I got it but got much worse in the last week without any changes. I’m not sure what to do if you wouldn’t recommend looking through video acceleration.

If you’re experiencing a slow down, it would be worth opening a support ticket to see if we can identify where things are going sideways. On a default install, configuration provided in the guide, you should be able to do what you need to do.

When you say you’re experiencing a slow down, can you share what applications are in use, what is attached and whether the slow down feels like it’s specific to video?

We can check dmesg, journalctl for hints as to what might be going on.

sudo dmesg -t

or

journalctl -f (real time event data)

Thanks, I opened a ticket today - waiting for a response. Slowdown occurs when even a single app is open. I tried with Chrome, firefox, steam, slack, etc. Moving a single window causes htop to show my cpu usage go through the roof for the application I’m moving. Some stutter when moving the window. Youtube videos playing caused high cpu usage too. intel_gpu_top shows only “Render/3D” has activity. Not other acceleration

I tried to boot from live usb, it took about half an hour for the process to finish for some reason. I hadn’t gone through the framework steps that time. I only apt update and apt upgraded (which took another 45 minutes). Same issues persisted.

I’m not seeing anything interesting from journalctl but don’t know what to look for. For dmesg, some interesting ones are:

thermal thermal_zone12: failed to read out thermal zone (-61)

wlp166s0: Limiting TX power to 30 (30 - 0) dBm as advertised by ...

Appreciate the update. Looks like @Loell_Framework has your ticket, you’re in great hands.