Resume Time from [deep] Sleep vt-d on vs. off

Hello all,
since i am fiddling around with my framework laptop for better battery life, i found that with my current configuration there is a significant improvement in resume time form deep sleep if i switch off vt-d in Bios.

With vt-d enabled it takes ~10s pressing the powerbutton until the lockscreen is up.
With vt-d disabled it takes ~2s.

The Security Tab in Gnome Settings shows IOMMU-Protection not found if i disable it. Is this a serious Problem?

My Configuration:

diy framework 11th gen i5
32GB RAM (2x 16GB)
Bios 3.17 beta

Fedora 37
kernel 6.1.6-200.fc37.x86_64

Greetings Max

PS: sorry for my bad english

Leave vt-d on, it is necessary for virtualization to work properly. 8 secs isn’t much of a cost.

1 Like

Hello GhostLegion,
thank you for your answer.
In my understanding VT-d is only necessary for PCI passtrough:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#I/O_MMU_virtualization_(AMD-Vi_and_Intel_VT-d)
My Windows 10 VM in Gnome Boxes runs well without VT-d enabled in BIOS.

Greetings Max

Virtualization is used in more than just VM’s

All 4 ports on your laptop are Thunderbolt and thus expose a PCIe connection and are vulnerable to DMA attacks.

A good analogy would be that it is quicker to enter a house that is unlocked. You see quicker boot up times. It is also easier for bad actors.

I’m sure there are other reasons to leave it enabled that I am either not remembering or am unaware of. Either way, my advice stands, you should leave it enabled so that virtualization works properly.

Hi again,

thanks for this point. That’s the answer to my question in the first post if it is a serious security issue for the system.
Am i right that the “long” resume is hitting all tb4 equipped systems?

Greetings Max

@Max_D I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t. The quickest resume times will likely be found by enabling S2idle over S3 sleep.

Just following this conversation, @GhostLegion is addressing the question.