Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

Smart Cookie!

1 Like

This sounds like a really good idea! :bulb:

I finally installed it the RTC Battery Substitute – more or less drama free!

The Substitute was definitely a very tight fit and I can see why it caused problems for people. It doesn’t quite hook under the two prongs on the north side when you’re trying to pivot it in. I hooked it under one retainer and then used a spudger as leverage to lift the other one up away from the motherboard just a little and rocked it around a little until it snapped under.

After getting The Substitute under the north clips it was still a bit of a tight fit to get it under the south retainer fingers – but a little coaxing with the spudger got it in on that side quite a bit easier than it was on the north side.

I’d recommend that people not try to force it in – just take the time with as many tries and as much jiggling to get it to seat easily without forcing.

The rest was pretty easy – a bit of time to get the wire taped in just the right position for soldering. The soldering space is pretty clear and relatively large. I got a friend with more soldering experience to do it for me, but I think really not anything for anyone with some soldering experience to fear.

Works flawlessly now – back to unconditional love for Framework! (Well, you know what I mean.)

ps. the “more or less” drama was I stripped one of the motherboard mounting screw inserts out of the chassis when re-installing the motherboard. Just careless over-torquing, really – no fault of the hardware. I was originally going to try gluing the threaded insert back into place but I wasn’t sure that I could definitely get it to drive past flush (which it definitely needs to be) without the adhesive setting so I decided to just leave out that screw. Definitely not ideal … but I’m pretty easy on my laptop and don’t carry it around a lot so pretty sure it will be fine. If/when I ever replace the MB I’ll probably try harder to repair that.

3 Likes

For anyone in Germany i have spare Battery holders soldering them on is not easy but doabel.

I ordered 5 or so i can send them per Post i can mail them for the cost of shipping plus 1€

1 Like

Where did you get the battery holders from?

Digikey

I just saw an AD that reminded me of your post.

1 Like

Bad news on my front – my laptop doesn’t hold a charge, even when fully powered off / shutdown. I haven’t used it much since the replacement so not much details on it – just that the battery is fully drained after sitting overnight, either in suspend or fully powered off. It works fine and fully charge/holds a charge when left plugged in. It seems like it discharges at a normal rate while unplugged and running. I haven’t taken it apart or looked at the replacement or soldering, etc. I’ll take a closer look at it soon (within the week, anyways) and report back if I find anything.

But if anyone that’s done it has seen similar and any tips about what to look for please let me know.

1 Like

Richard,

Wish you all the luck, no idea what went wrong, but perhaps contact support to see which way to go.

Even after the re-work and BIOS updates and fresh installs of Windows or Linux, my 11th gen still loses about 1% per hour when it’s shut down and unplugged. My partner finally gave up and just leaves hers plugged in.

This rework has nothing to do with the laptop’s main battery discharging during standby or while powered off. This is to fix an issue where the RTC battery would die, preventing the laptop from powering on without a mainboard reset.

1 Like

No kidding. I did two of them. I was responding to the comment that a laptop wouldn’t hold a charge. Maybe I misunderstood and he was saying his cmos battery wouldn’t hold a charge.

1 Like

Well, he did say “after the replacement” so the obvious inference would be it was an issue with the dummy battery. Who knows?

To clarify, I guess, the problem I have now is that after soldering in the battery replacement I have =rapid= discharge (100% in 12 hours) when unplugged and in standby. I don’t think it’s the same as the common complaint about poor standby performance – also because the other day it =didn’t= do this – I lost a typical amount in a 12 hour period. But then it was totally drained the next day. Unfortunately still haven’t really taken a good look or done formal testing (I’m just getting by leaving it plugged in).

I won’t pollute this topic about the rework procedure with a somewhat specific problem I’m having – I mostly just wanted to check and see if anyone else had the same problem after the replacement.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like the solder might be the problem as the resulting discharge just ain’t right.

Do the 11th gen mainboards still have this issue? If I plan to buy an 11th gen framework 13 would I need to perform this fix?

Yes, as far as I’m aware. I don’t think there’s been a revision or anything.

2 Likes

Hi. Note this is only an issue if you intend using the 11th Gen not connected to mains power for any length of time. The CMOS/RTC battery the ML 1220 can survive about four weeks when new, but not charging it fully after a week will make a serious dent in it’s capacity etc.

So ideally do not store the laptop unused for a week. use it on mains for at least an hour a day or 6 hours a week etc to fully charge the ML1220

I have the 11th Gen but as I use the laptop hours every day for 2.5 years I have no problem and don’t expect one for the next few years either.

Not that Framework will have many 11th Gen to sell but they will always send a free replacement ML 1220 if you would not rather do ‘the work’

1 Like

Guys, try to keep the conversation around the rework – there are other threads for discussing the battery issue in general if you still want to talk about that.

Off-topic messages have been removed. This thread exists as a community resource to ask questions about the rework. I do not want to close it, but if it continues to be derailed, we will be forced to do so. I have warned this many times already.

2 Likes

RTC battery got some problems while switching Windows and Linux. When I use only one system, the time is always correct, however when I switch, the time always got wrong and I have to sync it manually (in windows).