Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

When can we expect to hear back from support once we’ve contacted them regarding the coin cell replacement?
I got the confirmation I’m in the ‘appropriate queue’ 17 days ago and have not yet gotten an update.

Just a reminder - this thread is about the fix. It is here to provide information and assistance to users about the fix. Any posts here that make this information harder to find will be removed.

4 Likes

Hi @chrisp_chicken. After looking into your ticket, we replied with instructions to provide the following information for processing:

“Simply request this option and provide a clear image/photo of the serial number of your mainboard and your Framework Order Number”

We will also need you to verify the shipping address information as well.

Once you provide this, we’ll work to expedite the shipment for you.

Thanks!

Thanks @TheTwistgibber for coming back to me. In the same e-mail it also stated “If you are receiving this message, you are already in the appropriate queue, and one of our staff will be following up to assist you.” - hence why I thought not further action was required.
I also requested the option in my initial inquiry via my e-mail along with the original order number.
With nrp’s statement, I thought the mainboard serial number was optional (“and/or include photos of the system and Mainboard serial number”).

So if anyone is wondering when there’s no explicit follow-up e-mail: you may need to explicitly request the option again and always provide pictures of the mainboard’s serial number.

I too submitted a request for the solder kit. It has been weeks now, so want to make sure I provided everything that was required. Kindly let me know.

Via email to LeMa, I sent a screenshot of the BIOS info, along with a copy of the original order and shipping info. This in addition to my original request in the first week of August.

Thanks

Hi @chrisp_chicken. In that same bolded top line, right after the message you quoted, it said, “Please read this message FULLY as it will streamline the support process. Thank you!” The message has the following instructions as well:

“If you accept the associated liability, please request this option and provide a clear image/photo of the serial number of your mainboard and your Framework Order Number. If you do not have access to the Order Number, please provide the email used to complete the purchase on the Framework website. To access the mainboard serial number on the top side of the part, please follow the steps in the guide HERE. Also, please verify your shipping information/address (only in supported countries/regions) to avoid unnecessary back and forth communications. For information on acceptable shipping addresses, please see the following article HERE​.”

Hello @Nicholas_C_DeBord. We never received a response on the ticket you submitted with the request where we provided the instructions on August 9th. You reopened an older ticket that was closed that you submitted a survey for from August 1st, today. Per the instructions, as also noted above:

“Framework Support now has an alternative option for those with the technical skills to solder electrical components. This alternative RTC/CMOS Battery Substitution is a single solder point component which replaces the coin cell battery with a circuit that keeps the RTC subsystem powered off of the main battery. You can find the step by step instructions for installing this module in this guide. PLEASE NOTE : You should NOT request this option if you or the person designated for this rework do not have sufficient electronics soldering experience. While it is only a single solder point, failing to solder this correctly can result in damage to the system and is not covered under Framework’s Limited Warranty. If you accept the associated liability, please request this option and provide a clear image/photo of the serial number of your mainboard and your Framework Order Number. If you do not have access to the Order Number, please provide the email used to complete the purchase on the Framework website. To access the mainboard serial number on the top side of the part, please follow the steps in the guide HERE. Also, please verify your shipping information/address (only in supported countries/regions) to avoid unnecessary back and forth communications. For information on acceptable shipping addresses, please see the following article HERE​.”

It looks like your reopened ticket is being merged with the request ticket and we just need you to provide the requested information before we can send the part.

Thanks.

In fairness, I made the exact same mistake - the canned response is incredibly long, and it’s a little difficult to correctly parse what we’re being asked to do.

Shortly after people started asking for updates here, I myself received a canned response stating that I never replied with the requested information, even though I did provide the serial number and a photo of it in my initial submission. I replied to the latest email asking for whoever is on the other end to double-check.

I’m personally very eager to get the kit and resolve the issue once and for all.

1 Like

I would guess the reason they kindly ask you to read the full message is because they know that it is long, but they really need you to have all the information before going through this process. The response is there to inform you, not to make the process obtuse and difficult.

2 Likes

I, too, submitted a request (web form) on Aug 9th.

• On Aug 9th, got auto response: “Thanks for reaching out…”
  • On Aug 10th, got template response: “We’re sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues powering on your…”.
  • On Aug 11th, got an additional response: "THIS IS A MASS-MESSAGE TO ALL TICKETS CURRENTLY IN QUEUE FOR RTC BATTERIES OR RTC BATTERY SUBSTITUTES.
  • On Aug 12th, I responded with: photo of mainboard serial number, order number and stating my choice of option 2, no change to mailing address.
  • On Aug 28th, I responded with: Pending on Framework Support response.

i.e. Haven’t heard back for 2weeks. I check my junk mail as well.

@Second_Coming Hey i requested it as-well so im gonna update soon.

Yes - I ordered mine too - it was not a simple process as I have 2 delivery addresses but support were helpful and I will update when it arrives.
I think they made a small number and really want to be sure only the people who will install it will order it - setting the bar intentionally a bit high.
Communication in email definitely should be improved - I had to read it 3 times to understand which bit was relevant to me.

I hope this all goes really smooth for everyone!

Good job! :wave: :ok_hand:

@Jason_Dagless This is not the appropriate thread in which to dunk on customer support people.

Edited for group harmony. :smiley:

I agree, support have a hard job to do and we should support them. Anyway I got this today so it is on the way

Hi there,
We have created a new RTC Battery Substitute product order for you, free of charge. Once our repair center have shipped the spare part, we will notify you of the tracking number.
Please let us know if you need anything else. We’re here to help!
Regards,
Framework Support

I found your ticket as you’re using a different email than used here. It’s in queue for processing and is slated to receive an update shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the prompt action. Received the order confirmation email a moment ago.

Has support been falling behind over the last couple weeks? I submitted a request to replace the RTC battery in my laptop 10 days ago but haven’t received anything other than an acknowledgement email stating that my request was in the correct queue. I’ve sent two follow up emails since then and still haven’t heard anything. Very frustrating, as my laptop refuses to boot whenever the AC adapter isn’t plugged in.

If mods don’t move these posts first, you should post in this thread, that is now the thread for questions about the process. The appropriate people will see your post quicker there.

Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

Did you do this?

provide a clear image/photo of the serial number of your mainboard and your Framework Order Number. If you do not have access to the Order Number, please provide the email used to complete the purchase on the Framework website.

1 Like