RGB MacroPad won't go into Bootloader/Flash Drive mode

I have added a Reset key via https://keyboard.frame.work/ as described in Custom QMK firmware? - #14 by MJ1
However, nothing ever shows up in lsblk. Also, the keys light up when plugged in, and I can change the color patterns/brightness in https://keyboard.frame.work/ but none of the keys send anything to the computer.

What can I try next?

Sorry, could you clarify / rephrase perhaps? No keys work at all? Do internal keys work, such as BL step keys & the RGB control keys shown on the default keymap?

And do you still have the default keymap?

There are alternate ways to get into bootloader mode, but if nothing is being passed to the computer, then that’s a bigger problem.

Alternate macropad bootloader methods:
The macropad shares code with the numpad, so the numpad method of “Hold down keys for 2 and 6 while installing the module” works.
Bootmagic reset to bootloader, Hold numlock key (row 2, column 1 key) while inserting the module.

*         ┌────┬────┬────┬────┐
     *   row 1 │Esc │Calc│ =  │ <- │
     *         ├────┼────┼────┼────┤
     *   row 2 │ Num│ /  │ *  │ -  │
     *   row 3 │ 7  │ 8  │ 9  │ +  │
     *   row 4 │ 4  │ 5  │ 6  │ +  │
     *   row 5 │ 1  │ 2  │ 3  │Entr│
     *   row 6 │ 0  │ 0  │ .  │Entr│
     *         └────┴────┴────┴────┘

Last option I can think of, the qmk_hid tool can trigger bootloader mode. github.com/FrameworkComputer/qmk_hid

Where can I get a json file of the default to load into VIA?

Yeah. Framework hasn’t uploaded them anywhere as far as I’m aware.

So, you backup before you start making changes. Or you get someone else to make a backup and share it for you.

FWL16 keyboard default layouts.zip
https://litter.catbox.moe/oujv3v.zip
Via default keymap backups
ANSI, ISO, JIS, Numpad, Macropad

1 Like

Thank you! I got my RGB Macro pad back to the default mapping. However, I still sends no keystrokes to linux even in the Wayland wev tool. So, maybe I have to do something to get Linux to use it for input.

But that SHOULD be a totally different issue from getting it into Bootloader mode.

I don’t understand how I would get to that from this:

Backlight control keys are found on Layer 1. In your screenshot you are on Layer 0.

Numlock off is Layer 0, numlock on is Layer 1.
You could install a desktop onscreen numlock indicator app.

To test it the backlight keys, press numlock, then see if any of the keys change the backlight or RGB modes. Since there is no numlock indicator by default, you can’t be sure when it’s on (unless you install an indicator). So try the keys, then press numlock again & try the backlight keys once again.

Holy Carp! That was exhausting and infuriating. Thank you for getting me this far. Let’s see if you can see the problem…

… and for contrast …

Spoiler: The cable socket was not closed.

I have this habit of always blaming myself for issues. Most of the time I’m correct. The last thing I ever suspect is the hardware.

I wouldn’t have suspected that, since you said you were able to communicate with the keyboard and change the lighting with Via at keyboard.frame.work.

You could put a small piece of tape over the latch. Others have had keyboard ffc latches open accidentally as well iirc.

~edit~
oh, that’s the ffc latch on the macropad pcb. That makes more sense. I thought it was one for the input module midplate. So the backlight pins were making contact, but the keymatrix ones weren’t.

1 Like