Screen No Longer Powers Back On After Inactivity

There’s firmware updates after the 2024-09-09 date that corresponds to (currently) latest releases in various distros. New linux-firmware versions are cut roughly monthly, so we’ll hopefully get a chance to test this soon.

Here’s an interesting update, I have had multiple instances in the past few days where my entire session became incredibly slow and choppy while watching Youtube. During one of these slowdowns I was able to open System Monitor but nothing stood out. CPU, RAM, GPU, nothing was even close to being capped out. During the most recent slow down, I stepped away long enough for my system to lock due to inactivity and when I came back I had the black screen issue. I didn’t mention this at first because I didn’t know if it was related, but now I think they are. Had you been watching anything on your laptop prior to when you had your last black screen?

I can’t say yes or no for sure, but leaning towards no. I’ll try to keep a better note of when I watch videos (which isn’t that often).

I ran into another severe slow down, again while trying to watch something on Youtube. I did find in another thread (here) that running the command sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/1/amdgpu_gpu_recover will at least get things working again without rebooting, although it resets your session so be sure to save everything before running it. Just wanted to let you know in case you start to experience the slow down issue in addition to the black screen.

Quick note that the firmware updates are rolling out, here’s the Fedora update, currently still in updates-testing with:

amdgpu: DMCUB DCN35 update

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I updated earlier today and noticed amdgpu firmware listed in the software to be updated so let’s hope this resolves the issue for everyone. I’ll post an update within a few days or sooner depending on how things are running.

Unfortunately I’ve already reproduced it with the new firmware.

I also just ran into a black screen, although I was lucky in that pressing CTRL + ALT + F3 and then switching back to F2 fixed it. Sometimes doing this works, sometimes it doesn’t. Oddly enough I do not see any amdgpu errors when I run journalctl this time around.

I just ran into this myself (Fedora 40, latest update, so kernel 6.11.3). I thought it was a fluke and thought nothing of it until I read this thread.

Running into the same issue with Ubuntu 24.04 and updated to the latest rc2 kernel update, but it didn’t solve the issue sadly