[Showcase] RGB LED Matrix Input Module

On second thoughts, if they were shipped without tax prepaid, it may be that mine were under the UK £130 limit that customs uses to make one pay VAT. Under that figure VAT is supposed to be charged by the vendor and paid to UK HMRC, but it is a loophole that is being used by every man and his dog - unless you are buying from Amazon, eBay , or any other large emporium that will be UK tax registered.

3 Likes

Dim questions - do I have to reprogram the units to use OpenRGB? If not, what is the adalight software? Not to be a dick but the website states two slightly contradictory statements.

Thank you for purchasing an RGB LED Matrix module! Your module came programmed with Adalight compatible firmware. This makes it possible to use OpenRGB to control the modules.

and

Your module comes programmed with the correct firmware already.
But, If you would like to re-program the module with the Adalight firmware to use the RGB LED module with OpenRGB please follow these steps.

So I am a bit confused as to how to get started? Linux user.

1 Like

He’s just showing you how to re-flash the original firmware he provided it with if you had messed with it and wanted it back to the default way you received it.

You are fully expected to write your own firmware if you need different functionality than originally sold with.

Similar thing with the Framework ones, honestly. There are only a couple demo tools out there to demonstrate the capabilities of the device. We are expected to write our own programs to utilize them how we want.

2 Likes

You do not need to reprogram it. The video on the site does a good job of walking you through configuring things. You will want to use the latest release (pipeline maybe? I can’t recall the name) of opengrb on linux. I just run the appimage one. Set up the udev rules, and you will need python to adjust the map that you create. The device locations will be /dev/ttyACMx where x will typically be 0, 1, and so on.

2 Likes

OK thanks both.

2 Likes

I apologize for the confusing wording. I have updated it to now say:

But, If you would like to re-program the module with the Adalight firmware it originally shipped with to use the RGB LED module with OpenRGB. Then, please follow these steps.

2 Likes

tge package arrived without a problem! i do have some problems with the udev rules being unruly, but that has been a problem since i started using ubuntu anyway (even the keyboard is in factory state still… lol)

did have an idea tho. could theoretically be possible to make a full lenght side module? say you always use your touchpad in the location right under the keyboard so the spacers line up. you could then have a full lenght spacer instead of a long and short one (longer matrix, a recessed spinner for volume or whatever, long sliders etc)

1 Like

OK, I have installed the RGB Modules, installed the udev rules and reloaded them. Dmesg shows the modules

[ 4.131944] cdc_acm 1-3.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 4.135741] cdc_acm 1-4.2:1.0: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

and I have set them up in openrgb as follows

Scanning devices shows them

And I thought from the video that at this stage they should show signs of life, but I am not getting anything.

I can’t, for some reason, get the effects plugin to install either via appimage install or the ppa so have not yet mapped the leds via python. I’m on Ubuntu 24 - I should be able to at least change colour at this stage right?

1 Like

Are you using the experimental version and not v0.9?

Clicking on these preset colors doesn’t get it to work?

I’m not sure which udev rules you are referring to, there are none for these modules.

That said, have you verified you are a member of the correct group so you have permissions to actually access the ttyACM device? If not, have you tried running openRGB as root to see if it works?

I know this is basic stuff, so forgive me if you already checked. But you didn’t mention it so you never know.

1 Like

That’s my fault, I noted to apply them.

1 Like

I have encountered a slight issue using OpenRGB, and I’m posting here to see if anyone else has had it before.

I’m using two of these RGB Matrix modules side by side to provide a wider canvas to display gifs on, using the GIFPlayer effect.
It works fine for maybe an hour or so and then I see that OpenRGB has entirely exited. (A crash? No error boxes come up though) and the matrix displays go blank.

The system is a Framework Laptop 16 running Windows 11 Pro on a Ryzen 9 + dGPU and 16GB of RAM. OpenRGB ver 0.9.

This issue does not occur when running any other effect. Audio visualiser effects work with no issue, so it’s something with the GIF player.

If anyone happens to know the solution to this, I’d be very grateful!

1 Like

Received and installed, wow these are bright for being at 9% max. They’re built super well.
One thing I had to do for Linux is add an entry in the udev rules to allow OpenRGB to use ACM devices, otherwise it would only work as root and that’s not preferable.

60-openrgb.rules

KERNEL=="ttyACM[0-9]*",MODE="0666"

You could specify specific ports too instead of allowing all.

These are going to be a ton of fun. Thank you and cheers!

1 Like

Or you could just add your user to the group that owns them. On arch it is uucp.

2 Likes

On some machines it is dialup.

2 Likes

You guys get any code running on these bad boys?

1 Like

I programmed them with code to let OpenRGB control the LEDs.

You can read more about it here: https://jschroedl.com/rgb-start/

Thanks to ubuntu being a bish, I can’t even set up the framework keyboard, macro, or my other keyboard from wooting with any effects, so the matrices just put in a drawer for now. If anyone want to try before buying (if they’re still sold) and you’re in the Netherlands, I’m gladly gonna lend them out. :+1: