[RESPONDED] Headphone jack intermittent noise?

No such problem on win 10 after 5 days. Updated to new drivers etc.

When I’m wearing my headphones with the framework laptop, randomly I’ll get this short squeak sound come out of the headphones. It usually happens just after I plug them in and then randomly every 6-7 mins or so.

Currently I have the Batch 9 Framework
Headphones are Hifiman Sundaras

I’ve tried this with both Windows 10 and Ubunutu, the problem doesn’t change. I also did install the drivers and updated the BIOS to the latest version.

This isin’t that much of a big deal but I’m just wondering if other people have gotten this or if its just me.

1 Like

Yeah I’m getting the same issue I just found out today when I plugged my headphones in for the first time

You are not the only one - I have it too - and so do all these folks

So I think @FrameworkSupport should address this - it is not a huge issue but it is pretty annoying for us - it is to do with the sound chip going into and out of power saving mode.
Easily reproducible - by starting and stopping a youtube clip - it squeaks as the sound starts and then about 30 s after it stops as long as no other sounds are playing through headphones at the time.

2 Likes

Ah! I didn’t realize there was already a thread for this, I guess I didn’t see it since it wasn’t on the Community support section lol

Hiya all, this isn’t a solution but it’s at least a clear update on what framework is doing.

P.S. Support responded in just under 20 minutes! Kudos to yall :slight_smile:

tl;dr
Framework knows that this is a problem, it’s an expected behavior from the chip, and they are actively looking for a replacement to use in the future.

Edit:
More info: https://frame.work/blog/solving-for-silicon-shortages

Edit 2:
Disabling power save mode will stop the beeps but the hissing will stay on instead of switching off after a couple seconds

8 Likes

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but it’s a bit strange the issue stopped for some people. I’m encountering this issue as well right now.

1 Like

Yep, Having the same issue on ubuntu 21, constant low volume noise, and a bip before and after playing a sound.

1 Like

batch 10, i7-1165G7, Win 11, 21H2, bios 3.07.

Getting same issue. Anyone knows how to disable power save for the audio chip on win 11, I’d love to know.

1 Like

Also been having this problem, It’s usually just before an audio signal starts coming through (like right before a Youtube clip). All in all it’s not a real problem, I don’t get a constant noise though as far as I can hear.

i5-1135g7 Win11 21H2, Bios 3.07.

Check this! It should solve the problem if you are using pipewire driver.
This is only for Linux users.

I haven’t tested this, but this disables a power saving feature, so it can affect battery live negatively.

1 Like

I can confirm that I too am facing this issue in Ubuntu 22.04. Is there a fix for this?

Also have the same problem, identical to @Passerine. My laptop’s from the November batch of 2021, is now on bios 3.07. Has occurred on both PopOS and Mint, while not very audible to me while actively playing audio, but very noticeable when not, there is always a constant background hiss, and the pops on start up and when plugging in and out of the audio jack are louder than someone snapping there fingers directly next to your ear.
I’m in my mid twenties but my hearing cuts out in the low 10,000hz range, like a 50yo’s, so no it’s not a sensitive ear problem, but a driver problem.
I’ve just been living with it since it doesn’t really bother me when actually listening to most content, but I thought I should share my experience with the problem anyhow, and have tried most of the solutions in thread (sans the arch one), without any luck

1 Like

In my test you see an additional ~0.2W with power management disabled.

I use TLP and changed

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_AC/BAT to =0

Works to stop the chips inelegant power on/off chirp but I have no solution to background static except lower quality headphones.

Just for reference, the battery has 55Wh, and if we assume a regular running time of 5h, this equates to about 5 minutes of battery life you lose by disabling that power saving feature.

hmmm. I am on 22.04 as well and I do not have any issue with my headphone jack. I use it quite regularly as well. I’m a batch 1 though, and maybe that has something to do with it.

I’m also on 22.04
Lspci shows the following audio device: 00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
Kernel: 5.15.0-41-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 22 14:20:53 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I use the audio jack a LOT, and I don’t have any noise or distortion issues with it and have not had any with the last few kernel releases during the last 2-3 months

1st batch 12th gen laptop user here to report that unfortunately, this has not been resolved.
My laptop makes a very apparent bleep when switching in and out of power saving mode. It also makes a hissing noise that’s not very noticeable with my passive headphones but very apparent while using my Sony noise-cancelling headphones that have active amplification when wired. It is louder when the chip is active than when it is in power-saving mode.
Tested in both Windows 11 and Fedora 36, using BIOS version 3.04 (the only one available at this time)

1 Like

I never had this issue on my 11th gen model, but I just installed the 12th gen upgrade kit and now I hear the loudest beeps and static. I have no idea why the upgrade would have done this as its a separate board but that’s where I’m at now :frowning: