[SOLVED] Quality control concerns, two sets of defective hinges, and other issues

Yupp, same story with the hinges on my side: They were defective in my Batch 8 unit, showing no linearity and could not support the display in all situations. I got replacements but now after not even using the laptop much (can’t stand the wobble of the display, makes me travel sick when on trains), the hinges showed the same behavior.

I ordered the 4kg hinges, they are better with less display wobble but it is still there.

Bad coolermaster case aside, the AMD upgrade is working fantastic so far. It’s cooler, quieter, and snappier.

If the hinges hold up, and Framework resolves the coolermaster case issue, I’ll be very happy to be back.

1 Like

I suspect Framework will have to either change the overall mechanical design of the hinges and/or use better materials to make the hinges last longer than 5 years (the useful lifespan of most other premium laptops and usually the longest mfg. warranty you can find in any brand).

With the goal of continuous upgrades in the same chassis, Framework has to go even further than other brands to make sure the hinges last as many years as possible before needing replacement, probably aiming for 10 years.

I’ve been supporting/repairing laptops for at least 32 years now, including as a certified IBM Thinkpad serviceperson (before they sold Thinkpad to Lenovo). Hinge failures were almost always due to user abuse/accidents. The only times I saw hinges fail under normal use were in the very low-end models meant for home use and designed to last no more than 1 year and usually priced at under $300. It was far more common to see the cables that go through the hinge fail due to repeated opening and closing than the hinge itself fail.

1 Like

You could try a better train. The ones in the UK seem fine :slight_smile: Not a wibble of a wooble.

A year late, since I’m just now upgrading to the V2 hinge. But now that I’ve swapped them, I can confirm that once again the left hinge failed, but the right hinge feels fine. So there’s a consistent pattern of one hinge failing in each set.

1st set: One hinge failed, but I didn’t confirm which before throwing them out
2nd set: Left hinge failed, right still felt good
3rd set: Left hinge failed, right still felt good

I have no idea if this is just a coincidence or not. But given that @Usernames also had problems with his left hinge, it’s a solid theory.

1 Like

I actually perfer to stay in an EU country, thx for the top notch advise :wink:

2 Likes

You’re points are absolutely correct. The hinges are flawed by design, this was discussed also in other threads, the tolerances in the beginning for the hinge force were really bad, maybe they are better today. The other thing is the wobble, because of the length between the hinge points where it isn’t screwed down, they act like a spring in it self.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that since the mainboard and hinge upgrade, trackpad clicks no longer work consistently. Unless I press extra hard, the trackpad will randomly detect being released even when it’s still pressed. It will sometimes flicker on and off resulting in multiple presses for one click. As a result, I’m frequently triggering duplication actions when I try to click things.

I didn’t change anything on the input cover. It was merely removed and then reinstalled when the mainboard was replaced. This is already my second input cover, because the original one had an issue where the trackpad would not always register clicks.

Received the replacement Coolermaster case today. It has the same problem. Motherboard doesn’t fit because of the exact same defect with the pegs being covered in excess plastic.

The pattern of shoddy quality control continues.

@Daniel_Power soooo, regretting coming back then or just throwing up your hands in resignation?