[SOLVED] Webcam not working on Ubuntu 22.04 12th generation laptop

Do keep us posted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Work have provided a USB-C pen now so I can try the above and a bios update as suggested by support later this week

Hi, I was contemplating making a longer post detailing things on my end but I’ll ask before info dumping - I came across this thread on the Internet attempting to get my AVerMedia BU113 capture card running on Pop!_OS 22.04. I’m having a lot of similarities in this thread with what @Dominic_DeCesare faces. At the end of the day, it is also a UVC USB device, capturing HDMI instead of a camera feed. I see many of the same errors in guvcview, and OBS has a black screen as well. I would love to be able to provide any data or assist here in any way, even though I don’t have a Framework laptop.

Hi Wumbly! As Framework support is directly supporting this thread and this forum, the discussions on this forum regarding product support revolve exclusively around Framework products. I know this might be disappointing but thank you for your understanding. I wish you good luck in the resolving of your problem.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley

OK, got the USB pen.

Tried the 3.0.6 bios update to the latest beta that support suggested with no effect.

Installed and ran cheese following that and got:

decesare@Framework1:~$ cheese -d /dev/video0
../src/intel/isl/isl.c:2216: FINISHME: ../src/intel/isl/isl.c:isl_surf_supports_ccs: CCS for 3D textures is disabled, but a workaround is available.

(cheese:9588): Gdk-WARNING **: 16:49:19.309: Native Windows taller than 65535 pixels are not supported

(cheese:9588): cheese-WARNING **: 16:49:49.572: Internal data stream error.: ../libs/gst/base/gstbasesrc.c(3127): gst_base_src_loop (): /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin18/GstPipeWireSrc:pipewiresrc1:
streaming stopped, reason not-negotiated (-4)

(cheese:9588): Clutter-CRITICAL **: 16:50:21.570: Unable to create dummy onscreen: No foreign surface, and wl_shell unsupported by the compositor

The light no longer comes on I lifted the magnetic cover to check if I could try resitting the camera, and the lens fell out which might be an issue? I have obviously put the lens back in, but is only held in place by the magentic cover

Getting the same Cheese error booting from an Ubuntu USB.

Guvcview installed on the live USB gives the following and doesn’t work:

V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2664:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:877:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card 'card'
ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card 'card'
libv4l2: error turning on stream: Protocol error
V4L2_CORE: (VIDIOC_STREAMON) Unable to start stream: Protocol error 
V4L2_CORE: (VIDIOC_G_PARM) error: No such device
V4L2_CORE: Unable to set 1/30 fps
ENCODER: add stream 0 to stream list
ENCODER: add stream 1 to stream list
ENCODER: (matroska) add seekhead entry 0 (max 10)
ENCODER: (matroska) add seekhead entry 1 (max 10)
ENCODER: avcodec_send_frame error (-22): Invalid argument
ENCODER: Error encoding video frame: -22
ENCODER: (matroska) end duration = 1306 (1306.000000) 
V4L2_CORE: (VIDIOC_REQBUFS) Failed to delete buffers: Device or resource busy (errno 16)
V4L2_CORE: failed to unsubscribe events: No such device
GUVCVIEW: version 2.0.7
control[0]:(unknown - 0x6) 0x980001 'User Controls'
control[11]:(unknown - 0x6) 0x9a0001 'Camera Controls'
GUVCVIEW: (status) saving video to /home/ubuntu/my_video-4.mkv
AUDIO: (portaudio) Aborting audio stream
AUDIO: Closing audio stream...
ENCODER: (matroska) closing context
ENCODER: (matroska) closing cluster
ENCODER: (matroska)write seekhead

plus a whole load of “V4L2_CORE: (get_v4l2_frame) video stream must be started first” I snipped from that log

If this is happening on a live usb of Ubuntu 22.04, happening with Guvcview and cheese, please open a support ticket so we determine if the camera is bad or if there is something else happening.

Please link to this thread as well.

1 Like

Done. I’ved added it to my existing support ticket. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley We’ve found and resolved the fault. Seems the Webcam module was just faulty, having swapped it for a new one the camera is just working.

2 Likes

Delighted to hear it! Thanks for the update.

@Matt_Hartley
** Message: 18:59:46.254: cheese-application.vala:222: Error during camera setup: No device found

(cheese:39729): cheese-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.273: cheese_camera_device_get_name: assertion ‘CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)’ failed

(cheese:39729): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.273: g_variant_new_string: assertion ‘string != NULL’ failed

(cheese:39729): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.273: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion ‘value != NULL’ failed

(cheese:39729): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.274: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion ‘value != NULL’ failed

(cheese:39729): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.274: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion ‘value != NULL’ failed

(cheese:39729): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.274: g_settings_set_value: key ‘camera’ in ‘org.gnome.Cheese’ expects type ‘s’, but a GVariant of type ‘(null)’ was given

(cheese:39729): GLib-CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.274: g_variant_unref: assertion ‘value != NULL’ failed

** (cheese:39729): CRITICAL **: 18:59:46.274: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion ‘device != NULL’ failed

(cheese:39729): dconf-WARNING **: 18:59:46.274: failed to commit changes to dconf: Failed to execute child process “dbus-launch” (No such file or directory)

I am having this issue,how should I solve it?

Welcome to the community @Salman_Adnan, let’s start off with:

• Which Distribution of Linux? Ubuntu 22.04.3?
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with? 12th Gen like the title of this thread?

To the error itself, Cheese isn’t a great tool for diagnosing anything in my experience. You’ll want to use Guvcview. Depending on your distro as to how you installed it.

If you’re having experiences opening Guvcview as well, then we’ll then jump into some other troubleshooting from checking physical connections to running some commands like this:

v4l2-ctl --list-devices

(The above requires v4l-utils is installed)

Hi @Matt_Hartley,
I have an acer aspire 7 (i-5 12th gen) and i recently installed ubuntu 24.04 LTS onto it…and i am not able to get my integrated web cam to work.
I tried running cheese with no results and also ran
v4l2-ctl --list-devices
but it just showed
“Cannot open device /dev/video0,exiting”
can i get some help please

Let’s see if something else is using it.

sudo fuser -v /dev/video*

For example, I am doing some testing with my webcam, WebRTC application. So my output shows:

/dev/video0: matt 6079 F…m firefox

@Matt_Hartley “Specified filename /dev/video does not exist.”
:frowning:

Note this is not a FW laptop and this is a Framework forum, I can offer one last thought.

sudo fuser -v /dev/video*

Should come back completely empty or with something in use. If it came back with Cannot open device /dev/video0,exiting

…then this means it’s not detecting the hardware.

While you’re on an Acer, on a Framework laptop there is a physical switch. If it is set to “block” the camera, it will produce a result of Cannot open device /dev/video0,exiting

Check your laptop for physical switches. You can also search lsusb for indications that it’s not being detected.

sudo lsusb | grep -i cam

If nothing is coming up, check again with just lsusb to look. Otherwise, sounds like your webcam is not detected.

Also worth checking this:

sudo apt install v4l-utils && v4l2-ctl --list-devices

You can also see if the driver is loaded:

lsmod | grep -i uvc

Should return uvc, uvcvideo, etc. Best of luck!