Sounding Rocket Service Module Simulator

This is coming out super nicely! :orange_heart:

4 Likes

It already looks so good! Seems you’ve found quite the cool case to fit everything in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you @FrameworkBee and @Cheese :slight_smile:

Its a HMF case, but basically a lot of companies are doing look-a-like products similar to a bird named case manufacturing company - with similar specs but more affordable pricing. As everything is mounted internally without any drilling or mounting holes using glue out of car manufacturing process the case is still water- and somewhat pressure tight which was important to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And another update - some days ago I finally finished most of the simulator. There are still some rough edges in the firmware of the simulator board to be smoothed out - as well as an additional auxiliary board to be build. But a lot of the intended functionality (and more) is already working - and I must admit that I never thought it would turn out that well. Everything fits snuggly in the case, the overall system weights just in less than 8 kg and can be easily carried - including the keyboard. Just open the case, plug in the power plug and use the system :slight_smile: - it also doubles as a mobile command center. So it cannot “only” simulate a service module, it can also be directly used to patch into a ground stations egse and command an experiment on the rocket, basically a ground segment in a case.

As said, I will need to polish some aspects of the system (which will take some time) and include it in a paper I am currently writing. Until this has been published I cannot say much more - but I will leave you with a picture of the system :). Thanks already a million for all your support and read you soon :)!

3 Likes

That’s beautiful! It looks amazing~ :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @Cheese - it was a real pleasure to build this with Framework - the computing power I now have in a small form factor is just astonishing and Frameworks open design and commitment to USB C made it so much easier. Thanks a lot also to @Azure @nrp and @Bee / @FrameworkBee - I am looking forward to getting the paper published and be able to show more of the system (also some videos of it in action :slight_smile: )- and whenever you got some new creators challenge - I am more than happy to build more stuff, we always got need for more custom built tools from such awesome components like Framework! Thanks a million :)!

3 Likes