Storage Expansion Cards

Personal opinion only, They picked a level that could be implement at moderate cost levels. Two or more terabytes would likely increase the costs greatly.
Perhaps when the marketplace is opened, they will consider higher capacity devices.

1 Like

I would also like more info on this if possible please. I did add a 1TB expansion to my pre-order but I was hoping on a 2TB expansion card instead. (Planning on using an eGPU dock and expansion card for gaming when at home) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We’ve edited the blog post to say “Fedora” instead of “Windows 10”. There are some detailed guides on how to install Windows 10 onto a Storage Expansion Card (A Guide to Installing Windows 10 Home to a Framework Storage Expansion Card for example), but given the complexity, we don’t want to oversell that use case.

6 Likes

@nrp, is there something that can be done at the firmware level to make installing Windows on an expansion card a seamless experience? For example, a bios switch that lets Windows think it is installed on internal storage.

@Framework
What is the (expected) write life (TBW / TB Written) of the 250GB and 1TB Storage Expansion Modules?

Finalizing laptop order, & considering buying a pair to be able to (quickly) switch between a Windows install and Linux install, without having to muck with Dual-Boot on the internal M.2 SSD, or a VM.

Also, adding the expected write life to the store pages would be helpful, including for the WD 750/850 and any future SSDs, for those attempting to compare included or DIY on storage.

Thanks!

2 Likes

This is going to work so well with systemd-homed. systemd-homed allows for fully portable users between Linux systems. This card would be the perfect way to share a user between a laptop and a desktop for example. All of your preferences, keys, etc would just follow you.

1 Like

Any plans (or room) for a larger storage expansion card?

1 Like

Looking for any long term users of both storage expansion cards. Reliability? Performance? Power drain? What has been your experience?

I’ve been using the 1TB storage expansion card for about 5 months in order to process and store daily analytics data. At first, I had problems with the drive disconnecting pretty regularly until I changed a Windows setting, but now it only disconnects once every few weeks. See [RESPONDED] 1TB expansion card disconnects randomly for more info.

I think the disconnect problem is probably not with the drive, but rather related to a problem that some Framework laptops have with some of their USB ports. (See [RESPONDED] Quirky USB Port for info).

Other than the occasional disconnect, the drive has been working great for my needs. It’s much better than having to plug in an external drive since I use it every day.

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures in the Marketplace, but does the new Ethernet expansion card look narrower and longer than all of the other expansion cards? Also, not sure I’m digging the transparent outer case.

1 Like

It’s definitely longer, the port is higher than the expansion card itself so it must be pushed out beyond the edge of the laptop.

Will we be seeing 2TB or larger expansion cards anytime soon? I love the idea of swapping these out for multiple OS installs.

4 Likes

@Joe_Brockmeier

Not sure of your needs, but I am using a 250 expansion card to run Ubuntu 21.04 > 21.10 > 22.04.
This is fast enough for my usage.

I’ve also set up Fedora 35 > 36 on a USB-A flash drive. A lot slower to boot, but still usable for fun and learning.

The 1Tb expansion card is used for common data.

I don’t know about any official plans, but the first 2tb 2230 cards that I’ve heard of were announced in January. AFAIK, storage expansion cards are just 2230 nvme drives in an enclosure, so it might become possible to have 2tb versions sometime this year

No, they’re custom boards. A 2230 doesn’t fit in the space.
There’s a pic of the 1TB version here.

Ah, I even remember that thread! Now I have no idea where I picked up the 2230 memory.

Micron’s 2tb 2230 ssds are pretty relevant anyway, considering that any flash/controller configuration that can’t fit in a 2230 form factor definitely couldn’t be adapted to an expansion card.

I’d still rate a 2tb expansion card as maybe technically feasible to design at some point in 2022, given the corrected info

1 Like

Is there an optimal port to plug the 250gb expansion card on a Ryzen 5 model? New to Framework and the new configuration of the port specs. Don’t have the model yet, but I was wondering if there a port that the drive should sit in for optimal performance or if it doesn’t matter. Thanks!

Since they all have a minimum of USB 3.2, it doesn’t matter. Any port will do.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

1 Like