Storage in coolermaster builds

I’m doing a 11th gen mainboard (from batch 5 Framework | Framework Laptop 13 Mainboard (11th Gen Intel® Core™)) in the cooler master (Framework | Cooler Master Mainboard Case) over the next few weeks, I want both media center (https://nextcloud.com/) and CI server (https://hercules-ci.com). [1]

What should I do about storage? Are these bad boys Framework | Storage Expansion Card what I need to rely on? The media center isn’t massive, would give me a lot of the benefit with under 500gb, but I’d also like at least 500gb for the CI server’s caching. Separately, how much can I get away with sans the USBC storage? The specs say:

Weight: 99.5g Dimensions: 233mm x 112mm x 6.8mm Base frequency: 3.0 GHz Single core turbo: 4.8 GHz GPU: 96 EUs at 1.3 GHz L3 cache: 12 MB Includes vPro support

Which means… zero storage? So I can’t even have any OS at all without buying the storage expansion card(s)? If this is the case, why doesn’t the guide (Cooler Master Mainboard Case Quick Start Guide - Framework Guides) discuss this (and recommend up front that you have already bought expansion cards or some other solution)?

1. I’m also considering making the onprem and nixos version of GitHub - spantaleev/matrix-docker-ansible-deploy: 🐳 Matrix (An open network for secure, decentralized communication) server setup using Ansible and Docker but that would be a bit of a stretch goal, and it would be tricky to do without a bajillion extra hours and equipment dollars on redundancy. ↩︎

1 Like

It’s just the regular laptop mainboard / motherboard used in Framework laptops. They feature non-soldered storage and non-soldered ram, as part of being repairable and customizable. The ssd / storage is normally connected through the M.2 slot. Note that it is not recommended to use a Storage Expansion Card for your OS.

Yes, zero storage if you do not add any. There is no soldered storage, no included ssd. You need to attach some type of storage. What storage (SSD) parts are compatible with the Framework Laptop?

There is also no soldered RAM, no included RAM. Same for wifi and the 3.5mm audio jack board. If you need wifi, you’ll need a wifi card and antenna. If you need a 3.5mm audio jack, you’ll need the audio jack board. See here for links to the parts [SOLVED] Cooler Master case antenna? - #3 by MJ1 The coolermaster case also has holes for RP-SMA antenna jacks, so you could attach external antennas. You would need a U.FL to RP-SMA cable for that. Framework doesn’t sell one, but they are easily available elsewhere.

~edit~

The Cooler Master Mainboard Case Quick Start Guide does mention storage / SSD and RAM.

Step 10 Close the case

! Before closing the case, it’s a good idea to make sure that Storage and Memory are installed.

• Before closing the case, it’s a good idea to make sure that Storage and Memory are installed.
  • For guidance on installing storage please see Step 6 of the storage guide here.
  • For Memory please see Step 6 of the Memory guide here.
1 Like

Ah, indeed, thanks! I ordered RAM and an NVMe from amazon.

1 Like

You can also get external enclosures for ssd and for hdd and connect it to usb.

1 Like