Sudden problems booting and delayed booting?

I’ve been using my Framework since the day I got it in February on ubuntu 20.04 LTS and within the last month I have begun having a problem where the device won’t consistently boot up.

Before the issue started happening I would open the device and just press the power button and everything worked fine as expected.

Now I press the power button and:

• sometimes nothing happens, the power button does not illuminate, and the button does nothing no matter how many times I press it.
  • sometimes I press it, the power button illuminates, but nothing ultimately happens. eventually after a few minutes the power button light turns off.
  • sometimes I press it, the power button illuminates, but almost immediately turns off.

Under all conditions the battery is charged (>80%). When any of these conditions happen I have to go through an awkward cycle of pressing and holding the power button 20-30 seconds to convince the laptop to boot up. Sometimes I have to do this cycle 3-4 times.

There is nothing on the screen that indicates anything is happening.

I have not changed any hardware on the device since I got it (samsung SSD, 32 GB memory). The only software I have changed is doing the normal ubuntu updates.

Are you confident that the ML 1220 RTC/CMOS battery is charged. Leaving the laptop for days if not fully charged can stop powering on even if the main battery is charged fully.

Batch 8 (Feb) Using Ubuntu 22.04, no problem, but it is dual booted with Win 11 via GRUB2

2 Likes

I suspect that is it - this weekend I looked in the bios and the date time was some default in january on 2021 - so I assume (without testing it) that the battery is bad. The device is used plugged in 90% of the time so I’m not sure why the battery would have already gone bad. I’ll try replacing it.

Note it is a rechargeable battery, it charges only while laptop is plugged into power and takes 17-24hrs to fully charge lasting up to about 28 days with no charge.

I doubt the battery is bad, but it may have discharged at soem point hence the fallback date.

As mentioned a completley discharged ML1220 will require in excess of 17 hours to charge at the recommened rate of 1mAH.

The general advice, from Framework is to ensure that the laptop is plugged in at least 6 hours per week, that is the absolute minimum to keep the battery ‘charged fully’

The expected ‘life’ of a fully charged battery is 23 days though someone mentioned a month.

So it’s unlikely you have a bad battery.

Saying it’s plugged in 90% of the time means plugged in 21h 24 every day on average, that seems to be unlikely ~ is that what you mean???

If you mean 90% of the time you are actually uisng it and that is only an hour a day then it could keep it’s charge that is 6.3 hours a week.

If it is 90% of less than 1hr, on average, over 23 days then it will discharge, slowly.

Well I actually very rarely use the device off the charger tbh - 90% was just an arbitrary value to illustrate that the vast majority of the time the device is plugged in. In reality the % is probably higher.

So every week (M-F) the device is plugged in for ~40 hours or so +/-

When I checked the BIOS time on Sunday night the device would have been off since Friday evening but would have seen ~8 hours of charging during Friday.

When I opened the laptop on Sunday I checked the battery and reseated it but tbh it looked like it was in there just fine.

Plenty to keep the battery charged then. Trying a new battery sounds like a good idea and if that doesn’t work I would contact support.

So why did you check the BIOS time? and by the way I’m using Win 11 dual Ubuntu 22.04

It would be useful to check the battery voltage as it may well not the battery that is faulty. It shuts off being used at around 2.1V ~ 2V is cuts out. The full charged will be 3+V

I assumed that if the CMOS battery wasn’t charged that the BIOS time would reset. When I looked it was something like Jan 1 2021.

I actually think there may be a side issue I’ve uncovered after you suggested that maybe my CMOS battery is not charging…

Looking at my battery stats I see that my laptop appears to be falling into this weird state where it is plugged into the dock and pulling power from the dock but is not actually charging anything. It’s almost like it’s in some kind of power pass through mode…

After 4 hours of working this morning I checked the stats (note this was plugged into the dock the entire time and state = discharging, and time to empty is something like ~40 hours):

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1                           
  native-path:          BAT1
  vendor:               NVT
  model:                Framewo
  serial:               0037
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Tue 02 Aug 2022 11:39:37 AM EDT (61 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               discharging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              52.0674 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         52.2984 Wh
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         1.3552 W
    voltage:             17.607 V
    time to empty:       38.4 hours
    percentage:          100%
    capacity:            95.0728%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-symbolic'
  History (rate):
    1659454777	1.355	discharging

If I unplug it and run the same command the energy rate is nearly 10x as much:

energy-rate:         11.9812 W

I’ve noticed this happened before - I wonder if this contributes to the issue. Sometimes I have to undock / redock to get the thing to charge and I have noticed that sometimes it falls into this weird not charging but not actually discharging mode…

I have not really done anything to try and change the way my battery behaves (as a long time linux user I accept that linux will destroy my battery over time and my battery life overall will be terrible). Thinkpads support TLP pretty well but I did not mess with that utility on the Framework.

I note it is taking 1.3W although it appears to be doing nothing.

OK I’m using Windows but irrespective of that if I plug in the charger it draws 1.5W even when not switched on. So I imagine your dock is supply the same…

Try testing without being plugged in and remove all but USB C ports. My µSD prompts the system to use 1.5W once power is connected even though the actual expansion card is using nothing

As an update - I assume that the issue was because my device was falling into some weird “plugged in but not charging” state when using the dock at work. Plugging in the dock and also plugging in a charger resolved the issue immediately. Have not had a hang up booting in weeks.

1 Like