Suggestions for a gaming laptop

Which is why I think that we could have a CPU add-on, which to both align the CPU we use into position, and help us tighten it properly with even pressure, and attach the cooling part for it. Sure, you might need to make special coolers for the laptops with a replaceable CPU, which to be flat like the ones for the desktop GPUs, but built to be placed inside the case.

Not only that, but you could even even provide a 16x full-size PCIe port for connecting desktop GPUs, as a slide into the port for the replaceable laptop GPU, so people could literally slide out the mobile GPU and slide in the adapter and slide into the adapter’s 16x PCIe port the desktop GPU powered by a separate power source, if they need or want that (i.e. cheaper to buy, expensive to run, for the same processing power, using a desktop GPU instead of a laptop GPU).

You just got me thinking. We have a specific thread for what we’d like to see built next and I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned a Framework controller. My first gen Xbox One controllers started having button issues after around six months of use (can’t attest to the quality of the S|X), joycon drift is an exercise in poor engineering and a nightmare for anyone who’s not repair savvy, and DualSense batteries go out insanely quickly.

Anything actually on a laptop is always going to be a lesser experience than a real form factor. Why not just do a full repairable controller? Hall effect joysticks, analog triggers, trackpads, Bluetooth, the works. I’d buy four if they’re comfortable.

The idea of a modular controller already exists somewhat but like all other modular concepts, it didn’t do too well: ASTRO C40 TR Controller Refurbished | Logitech G

Thoughts on pairing a framework controller with the 16”?

2 Likes

I could imagine on the 16", using the two slots besides the keyboard on the left and right, someone making flat joystick add-ons similar to the GPD Winmax 2

1 Like

You can make a simpler flat joystick, using a touchpad, two sliders (one on each axis of movement), and springs (to keep the sliders centered, or zeroed), using magnetic fields to make the contact, instead of physical contact between the touchscreen and joystick “handle”, to reduce the wear-and-tear to a minimum. Optionally also have a pin hole to a re-zero button.

1 Like

I made another post related to this one, inspired by the 13" non-laptop case: Suggestions for a tablet and handheld PC and mini laptop

It’d be cool to have a clear animated RGB touchpad / RGB trackpad option like Alienware. I think it’d pair especially well with the RGB Clear keyboard and RGB macropad.

This is what the Alienware looks like, also see https://youtu.be/x-Fs-wAmbRY?t=334