Swap out just the CPU itself?

But will that CPU handle DDR5 memory (we are in the FW16 forum after all), or the multiple PCiE lanes for display/wifi/USB/etc ?

Fair question; what I mean is that in order to ‘test’ how well the Framework might react as a platform to having the CPU swapped out, it would make sense to buy an older/used Framework (intel then probably) and swap that out. Intels make up a much larger segment of the laptop market too, so it’d be easier to find a donor cpu to swap in. There’s a reasonable chance I’m already sitting on one. For the sake of the experiment, it could even be a ‘downgrade’; I just want to see how the firmware/software reacts. Ideally though I’d want to move to a more advanced CPU as the test, not less.

If that works ok, then I’ll buy a new AMD 16 and upgrade it to the PRO version and see what happens.

1 Like

You did bga rework using a kitche stove? You must be some kind of god.

I didn’t know anyone was selling anything using 7th gen pro jet, still though that would not be a cheap endeavour.

I’m asuming you mean the 7800x3d vs 7950x3d cause they never released a 5950x3d (they did make them though), not sure that is a fair comparison though since that is mostly a software issue using the wrong cores for the wrong thing. The x230 to x240 was a weaker but more efficient cpu.

If you actually want the pro feature you’ll very likely end up mucking with the bios anyway cause all that pro stuff needs firmware too.

That’s uncharted territory, my friend. If you’re willing to try it, please document it! Depending on the CPU you’ll be upgrading to, the firmware may not have the right microcode for the CPU.

I’m willing to bet if you can do it successfully at a hardware/PCB level, you’ll only easily be supported if you are using other CPUs that Framework has supported in the UEFI/AGESA. Otherwise, you’ll have to touch the UEFI itself to provide support.

I’d love to see you do it! But is it really worth it? If they have the same base platform/chipset next year with updated laptop APUs, and you can install the UEFI update on the current AMD mainboard, I suspect you could make it work with updated CPUs.

Its not as big a deal as people think and not THAT uncommon in hardware circles. Especially when the board is already dead and its that or the trash bin. Biggest considerations are does it get hot enough, is it level, and avoiding any vibrations like footsteps near the stove while its liquid. Also, heat up and cool down times; it takes a while.

Thats another reason to use an older intel FW as the test subject right now.

Probably, sure. But one step at a time.

I’d be willing to bet I can lift most of what I need out of the AMD Dev Kit and the official and unofficial support forums. Or I could get lucky and all the stuff is already there, there just isnt any hardware to make use of it.

I see that often enough in cars and motorcycles; you just add the hardware and the ECU already has the software to make use of it because it was more trouble to selectively exclude a package than it was to just leave it in there and ignore it. Suzuki did that for over a decade. So did Volkswagen group and Tesla (which still does). Tesla even includes the hardware; its just ‘locked’ until you pay them to unlock it…or hack it. So there’s a reasonable chance that adding another CPU from the same family/line/etc will already have the required firmware present in the current builds.

Right now I’m only looking to swap out for the same CPU, but PRO model: 7940HS → 7940HS-PRO

That should be pretty easy, and it should function as well as the original I’m guessing with no changes. Its the added PRO feature set that I’m curious about.

Still extremely impressive

Well I for one am extremely curious how that turns out but you sound like you have the skillset to make it work if it is possible.

Maybe you can find a minipc using a pro engineering sample or something on aliexpress as a donor

Thats the big question. But if I can, that’s a lot of smaller businesses that I deal with that would be interested in buying an actual truly upgradable laptop. I already talked to one and the lack of DASH and ECC was the main reason they wouldn’t consider FW. Maybe I do it and I become the test case for a new FW option. Weirder stuff has happened. Or I just become a ‘Tuner’ and expand my repair depot/2nd party warranty support.

1 Like

Maybe, but those often have very weird caveats to them. Usually lower clockspeeds, but sometimes also missing sections or additional features that dont get included in the final product. I’d hate to spend a ton of time chasing down false errors that dont exist in the actual product.

I played with some Xeons a few years ago that were clock monsters but only handled one thread at a time. Imagine the time I’d spend trying to trouble shoot why my hyperthreading didn’t work, only to someday find out that that engineering sample physically didnt have it.

What’s the difference? Is it just the amount of L1 and L2 cache?

no difference like that. It adds stuff a business or Developer might want, like Out-Of-Band support, additional CPU security functions, and error correction memory options.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/pro-technologies

They’re identical in that regard to the non PRO SKUs. Pro adds enterprise features like remote management, official ECC support etc.

Which is why you’ll only tend to find them in ThinkPads and zBooks etc.

If that’s the case, it may just work like the non-PRO. The features AMD listed for PRO seems like it requires the motherboard and firmware to have code for it, as well as the supporting hardware (ex: network chipset that supports remote management, etc).

But like I said, if you’re gonna do it, please make a YouTube video of it! It’s a very interesting project indeed.