TDP on 7840U

Hi everyone,

is there a chance to change the tdp of the APU in any way? There are software solutions for old Ryzen APUs or other companies are providing software for their notebooks, where you can change the TDP to 15W or 12.5W.

I tried to change the maximum CPU power draw with the energy saving options in windows, but nothing changed here when HWInfo works the right way, the notebook is allways using a maximum of 28W on a long run, which is resulting in high temps and a noisy cooling system. I wouldn’t mind to wait a little bit longer for my data, when the system would be cooler and less noisy on a 15W draw over longer times.

Best regards!

On Windows 11, the “best battery life” or “best performance” options in settings will automatically lower the TDP. The max on best battery life is about 10 watts while the max on best performance can be up to 35 watts sustained depending on cooling.

So there is no possibility yet to set a free value by my own?

On my Windows system I can’t find a way to change the behaviour of the TDP the notebook is using. When I go to Settings → System → Power & Battery i can change from best performance over balanced to best battery saving but nothing changes when I start a program with heavy load on the APU. The latest BIOs and drivers are installed.
In the Energy Option at the control panel there is only the balanced option. On google I can’t find any energy saving configurations for the Ryzen 7000 APU.

//Update: After installing the Framework drivers again and some restarts, the APU stays at 15W with best battery saving. It is stays unter 70°C on load and is quiet. Thank you for your help, hope to get a possibility to change the TDP later on wo a specific value, I think the system could still handle 20-23W without any noise.

1 Like

Have you tried RyzenAdj?

Does it support phoenix jet?

It is possible to manually adjust the TDP to a specific value using x86 tuning utility.

Be careful with this; it’s going to conflict with the actions that the Framework EC does. You are better off using the “power slider” in Windows and power profiles daemon in Linux.

Don’t have my framework (yet), but I like this one to tune wattage, temps, etc. https://amdaputuningutility.com/

1 Like