This laptop is a game changer

The framework laptop has so much potential. I don’t understand why this hasn’t been tried before. As soon as I learned about what this laptop was, I immediately began fantasizing.

This laptop has the potential to be perfect for power users, gamers, and literally everyone, and it all has to do with the expansion cards. Let me explain.

Imagine this (very specific and hypothetical situation, but it still applies), you’re a gamer, programmer, cyber security, Linux, and video production enthusiast. You need multiple devices to separate your work, hobbies, and entertainment, but you don’t want to have multiple devices. This laptop is the solution.

The SSD expansion cards allow you to be able to swap operating systems very easily. You want to play some games? Swap the expansion card out with your windows OS. Working on a project? Swap the card out with Manjaro or Fedora. Want to do some video editing? Swap the card out for your preferred video editing operating system. A retro gaming system? You have a card for that as well.

You might be asking, “well what about the internal storage?” The laptop’s internal storage can hold your most used operating system, or it could be shared storage between all of your setups, like a giant permanent USB drive.

How would one be able to play games? Well, I’m assuming that Ryzen mainboards are going to be released, which would make them game ready. But other than that, you would have your Windows OS expansion card, 2 USB-C cards, and a displayport or hdmi card. This setup would allow you to have a usb type a hub to connect your peripherals, connect to your gaming display, and connect an eGPU for gaming performance.

Anyway, this is just my rant about how much potential this little laptop has. It has the potential to be the perfect device for anyone. Please don’t screw it up. The world needs something this modular and customizable.

TL;DR: You can use ssd expansion cards to have multiple operating systems, which makes this device incredibly versatile.

8 Likes

I only see a model with a 13" screen which makes it kind of pointless for the vast majority of people. That’s basically tablet size. Maybe I’m missing something?

3 Likes

@William I used a Razer Blade Stealth for a hot minute right when Thunderbolt 3 came out.

It was still very beta feeling but it let me game at home by plugging an external GPU with my 27” dual monitors and gaming peripherals, then take a thin light 13” laptop to school with a 10 hour battery life for notes and VMs for network security class

This laptop feels more refined and is several years out from that original design. It’s likely to be more consistent in performance from my original Stealth. On top of that I’m not locked into a specific build (I think that machine was an i5 originally) by having the ability to upgrade the hardware at will.

This machine is able to be a chameleon.

1 Like