Touchscreen that can use a stylus (for creative people)

I would love to try this out but looking online it doesn’t look like the first two have touch input (number 1, BOE NE135FBM-N41 specs) (number 2, Panasonic MEI96A2 specs) and I can’t find anything about the JDI or AUO panels. Where did you find this info? Would love to be shown wrong here.

1 Like

This is the result of finding the models of known 13.5" 3:2 laptops and getting their panel models (check notebookcheck reviews). While the panels may not be available with touch from normal channels (e.g. ebay, aliexpress, etc.), manufacturers may have added their own input devices on top of the panel.

Now that is a promising and intriguing idea. Would it be possible to acquire such a device standalone? Maybe it could be wired in with the existing Framework display somehow.

You could try buying replacement panels for the X1 Titanium Yoga or Surface, but that’s a bit dicey.

While I don’t really use a pen for illustrations or anything of the sort, I use them a ton for note taking. I really hope this becomes an option before my current laptop finally completely dies :smiley: For my part just having compatibility wacom aes compatibility (even without a stylus included) would be all that I’d never need.
For me included pen support is kinda a must have, it’s not really practical to carry a seperate tablet and always whip out two devices. And I know that the same is true for several other people I went to uni with.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is i/o on the current motherboard (probably near the display cable) for a touch screen or would you need a new mb to use a touch screen?

I’m really interested in ordering, just putting a port (could even be a modified internal usb2 header) would be enough to have me impulse purchase a framework.

The display input is a 40 pin LVDS connector on the motherboard that would support touchscreen inputs for screens with a digitizer.

I’m coming from an X1 Yoga and two features that are holding me back right now are the touchscreen w/stylus and also the touchstick, which I love when going mobile/undocked.

I would like to figure out how to get a real Wacom touchscreen in a Framework laptop!

2 Likes

I’m also in the camp that would instantly buy a Framework if a touchscreen is an option. I’ll likely be in the market to replace my current machine in about a year. If there isn’t a touchscreen option by then, I may have to go with a Lenovo Yoga or Carbon X1 even though I absolutely love the modular, upgradable aspect of the Framework and the value it provides.

5 Likes

Same! Considering that 2-in-1s are usually soldered together with no option for upgradability, I’d think this would be a pretty compelling option, and a unique differentiating factor. Not to mention the value for schools or businesses looking to invest in upgradable tech for the long term. Having touchscreen, but more importantly stylus support, is a dealbreaker for me since as a student, being able to take handwritten notes on it is really important.

6 Likes

@nrp
Your team should seriously consider this feature since Apple’s MBP team hasn’t innovated much in terms of touchscreen, it used to have a 3rd party device, the Airbar, or worse now their integrated touch bar which is just a control strip above the keyboard. (Personally, I would never again buy another Apple product)

I’m a bit surprised that your marketing team hasn’t highlighted the sustainability advantage: The World Counts

Another marketing point: Note-taking for all.
Touchscreen with drawing feature isn’t just for creatives but everyone who has to take notes by hand or diagram. Hand note taking has been proven to be the most effective learning/memory tool. Using software for diagramming takes time and you ultimately must sketch out your diagram first before putting it into a diagramming/mapping software–useful–whether you’re a UXDer or engineer, student, or developer, etc.

It couldn’t hurt to do some more case study analyses. . . of pre-existing products you want to outdo.

2 Likes

As a newly minted Framework owner who is already in love with this system, I would love to have a Touch display enhancement kit (a higher resolution would also be a nice-to-have!)

5 Likes

This seems like a nice USI compatible screen that might be the right size and aspect ratio to stick into the Framework…

3 Likes

Agree – waiting for touchscreen with stylus. (Also would love larger model with full numeric keyboard. I work on spreadsheets constantly and portability not a huge issue for me.)

3 Likes

Thankfully, Dell makes some 2-in-1s with socketed storage, memory, and WiFi.

I’m often impressed that Dell’s notebooks - particularly their G (eh, displays) and XPS (eh, cost) lines - have a measure of upgradability and even have manuals to support some level of teardown. The problems I have with them however are that they often have engineering oversights (The XPS13’s hinges!), are limited in spec lacking decent displays, or compromise on smaller sizes, such as the XPS13 using LPDDR that can’t be upgraded without a heatgun and gumption. Parts availability is also unclear.

I very nearly sighed and went with an XPS15, even if it wasn’t anything like what I wanted. I didn’t need a gaming-class 15" notebook, coming from a Surface Pro 4. I wanted something with room to grow and repairability, and while Dell nearly delivered, it was just too much to pay for something that didn’t fit my ideal form factor. Even my wish list item of 4K output wasn’t as important as size and repairability (and the ports! And the availability of components! And…)

I hope framework can get an EMR stylus license from Wacom. EMR passive styluses are way more precise than AES active styluses.
I am currently using a Fujitsu T936 laptop with Wacom Feel It EMR display. I am not sure the pressure level(I guess 1024 levels maximum?) but I can draw a lot of stuff with ease.

1 Like

Yea I would pay for this $$$

2 Likes

If anyone else is interested, I don’t mind helping out in making this little project a reality. It looks like we have two problems:

1. Finding and connecting screens that support pen input to the framework laptop
  2. Designing and 3D printing a 2in1 laptop chassis.

It would be great if someone who has owns the laptops that @taeyeon has suggested could test if the touchscreen and pen functionality is functional.

I think there are 3/4 screens with the correct aspect ratio and display size.

1. Acer, Framework, others? Most basic. BOE NE135FBM-N41
  2. Surface Book/Laptop. Touchscreen + Stylus (Ntrig). Panasonic MEI96A2
  3. (a) X1 Titanium Yoga. Touchscreen + stylus (Wacom?). JDI LPM135M467
    (b) Same as 3a. Made by AUO, model unknown.

In terms of the 2in1 laptop casing, we would need a CAD file of the framework laptop case. I don’t believe we would be able to get this file from framework staff but we can always either do it manually or create 3D scans of the laptop case. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do it until my framework arrived in Feb.

Also to show Framework how many users are interested in this hardware I ask you to complete this poll.

If anyone else has more ideas, please hmu.

1 Like

I wonder if it is possible to get the Framework Laptop without the parts for the screen? If that is possible I would love to get it and do a BYOS (Bring Your Own Screen). While Framework figures out their touchscreen implementation, there are options:

The following are Active Stylus screens that can be connected via HDMI or USB-C (Requires a different power source which you can power with a powerbank)

1. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/office/62a3uar1us
  2. Artist 12 Pro LINE FRIENDS Edition | XP-Pen US Official Store (Linux, Windows and Mac support)

There are those with built-in battery although they are just multi-touch without palm rejection and pen pressure. They are typically 15.6" as well

1 Like