[RESPONDED] Trackpad Acting Odd After Fedora 37 6.1.7-200.fc37.x86_64 Kernel Update

Hey guys, has anyone noticed that the trackpad has started acting a bit funny after the 6.1.7-200.fc37.x86_64 kernel update on the 12th Gen?

I used to be able to scroll and then tap both fingers down to stop it mid-movement and that doesn’t seem to happen anymore. And when I lift my fingers it often causes the window scrolling to “zing” up or down, like if I scrolled hard and lifted my fingers off (like it’s interpolating my fingers lifting improperly).

This doesn’t happen in some GNOME shell apps like Files, where it behaves normally.

I cannot seem to isolate any other changes made to my system other than the kernel update before this behavior began. Or were some software settings changed with the recent updates that I am not aware of?

Peace,
-S

That is a bit of an odd duck for an error. Hmm, sounds like touchegg or some interaction with the kernel is doing creative things.

• Does the touchpad work fine for general single finger movement back and forth?
  • Have you recently upgraded touchegg recently?
  • Assuming this is Wayland, have you logged out, then logged back into Xorg for testing?
  • Anything odd show up in dmesg -t or dmesg | grep touchegg?

Yeah, it’s the strangest thing.

Does the touchpad work fine for general single finger movement back and forth?

Yep, single finger is absolutely fine. Three finger gestures and other two finger gestures are fine, too.

Have you recently upgraded touchegg recently?

Not to my knowledge. Haven’t… erf… touched it.

Assuming this is Wayland, have you logged out, then logged back into Xorg for testing?

I’ll test out Xorg and report back shortly.

Anything odd show up in dmesg -t or dmesg | grep touchegg?

Nothing comes up for either.

Reporting back: On Xorg none of the 3-finger gestures work and two finger scrolling is a little better, but not by much (but this could be due to fractional scaling being off and the interface being tiny…).

Additionally, I do not appear to have touchegg installed.

Edit: And I have confirmed again that this only happens in the RPM versions of Chromium and Firefox. Scrolling is fine in Files, Software, and all menus. And just for comparison I decided to install the flatpak version of Chromium – and it behaves completely different from both. It scolls in short bursts. I’m stumped.

-S

Touchegg is more of an afterthought, so no worries there. This appears to be something that went sideways with the updates.

I would boot to a previous kernel and see if the behavior continues there as well.