Clarify important bit of instructional text to do with updating BIOS

This webpage, and I think others, says:

However if our battery is at 100% and the charger is off [. . .]

‘The charger is off’ - what does that mean? That the laptop is not receiving AC power, i.e., is not connected to a charger (a charger the other end of which is connected to a live electric socket?). Or does it mean that the laptop is receiving AC power but, because the battery is full, the battery is not being charged?

It seems to me that the page(s) should be amended to make it clear what is meant. After all, applying firmware updates is a serious business.

You mean this:

LVFS may not update if the battery is 100% charged. LVFS uses the battery status to determine if it is safe to apply updates. However if our battery is at 100% and the charger is off, we set the battery charging status to false. In this case you can discharge your battery a few percent, then plug in AC again and run fwupdmgr update.

Clearly the first

• The battery is charged but not receiving charge.

Clearly not the second idea you have

a) Charger is off ~ as stated THIS ONE
b) Charger is on but battery is full NOT THIS ONE

The wording is confusing, I agree.

What’s missing in the first sentence is that “LVFS may not update if the battery is 100% charged even when the charger is powered and connected. LVFS uses the battery charging status to determine if it is safe to apply updates. However if our battery is at 100% with the powered charger still connected (i.e. battery is not in a charging state), we set the battery charging status to false”

Something like this.

The original writing is unclear. It doesn’t mention what charging status has to do with anything other than “set it to false”…THEN what? Failed at story telling.