Uneven CPU thermals!

Well as it seems this is a widespread systemic Problem on the FW16 i had a Mainboard Replacement and my Thermals had just 15C Delta on my First Mainboard. My new Mainboard had also a delta of more than 10C between Cores. Depending on that i decided to pull the Heatsink and tinker.

As it seems the edged Area and the Liquid Metal, doesnt transfer the Heat evenly. I lapped the Heatsink and used PTM7950 instead of the Liquid Metal and released more than 1000Points extra on Cinebench R23 Multi Core.
With your temp delta you should definitly request a Board RMA.

2 Likes

I’ve actually already had my board replaced in the past for very loud coil whine :confused:

Can you do a Cinebench R23 10 min Loop and post the Result? The Temps of the 7840hs will stay uneven, but the Benchmark Score is the best INdicator of how bad it is.

here are my results. I also took a 3DMark CPU profile for ya to see thermals.

1 Like

I’m tempted to just replace the liquid metal with the Noctua NT-H1 I have but I’m not sure if I should do that just yet.

Thanks for the Reply. Your “new” Board is as bad as mine, which i got replaced. And my bad Board even had more Points in CB23 with about 14700.
I Understand that you are frustrated.
No you shouldnt replace it with the Noctua, get yourself PTM7950 from Honeywell. I got genuine one from Amazon. PTM7950 is the closest to Liquid Metal you can get, without its Downsides.
Its really hard to get the Heatsink of, when their Liquid Metal is hardened. You can look in the Batch 20 Guild

Their was a Discussion about this Problem and i did my Modification Log there.

since I don’t do any CPU-demanding things on my laptop I think I’ll just use the Noctua thermal paste and replace it with the liquid metal thermal pad when it’s available :confused:

I also just looked it up and the Noctua thermal has a slightly higher thermal conductivity than the PTM7950

Well no, that is not a good idea. You will get even worse Performance. Than just keep it as is or request another RMA.

The PTM7950 changes it phase to liquid at 46C and than its Conductivity is nearly as good as Liquid Metal. In its hardened Form your statement is true.

1 Like

oh I forgot about that part lol

when this happened to you was it like that from the start or did it happen over time?

It was from the Start, i Received my Replacementboard, tested everything and two days later i ripped it apart and started modifying.
I would even have modified my first Board, but only decided after the Replacement that its a more Common Problem i have to take care by my own.

That’s strange it happened to me over time. Do you think this is what could be happening? https://youtu.be/w7ChaNf9N-w?si=J5Cvaqwi2zJ_Lm9o Time stamp 16:45

I pulled off my cooler and it came off in chunks but I don’t know if the Liquid Metal that framework uses stays liquid at room temp.

Also could I reuse the spill guard and just buy some more Liquid Metal? The foam parts came off in one piece

I think you can get better results…

The finish looks rough for 8000grits. You likely have grit contamination from the 3000 side.

1 Like

I bought some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and I’m gonna reuse the spill guard because it’s completely intact. I cleaned the old metal as much as possible too.

1 Like

I’m in batch 20, also getting Cinebench R23 scores in the mid/high 14000’s with my Ryzen 9 7940HS! Will do some more testing this week & look at RMA.

And any conclusion?

I bought it online it’ll arrive tomorrow