Upgrading to Ububtu 22.04 -- issues, etc

Thank you @lightrush

That command qualifies as finding the correct library modules to install.

after performing the reinstall command, and rebooting, the system responded as expected.
It no longer has a long wait when trying to initially log in. Presumably that was a timeout scenario due to fprintd not being active.

The fingerprint I had previous registered was apparently remembered, and I didn’t even have to register a new own.

I will be happy to use only official sources, I am new to working at that level with a Linux or Unix like system.

Not really familiar with sudo, apt, package names, and where to find them, and my google searches didn’t seem to be asking the right question.

I probably would not have tried to re-install all five packages, assuming I even knew to find they were all required.

So I just tried deleting the extraneous files on my computer too and it won’t let me delete them. It keeps saying I don’t have permissions. I’m pretty new to Linux. Am I missing something?

1 Like

I found the sudo command and got the files deleted, but not fast enough to come delete by dumb question :grimacing:
But the good news is, my computer seems to be recognizing my fingerprint reader again. Thanks for helping out a noob!

1 Like

Stick with packages that come from Ubuntu’s official repositories and use Snaps and Flatpaks instead of adding third party repos when Snaps and Flatpaks exist. It’s the noob-friendly recipe to avoid breakage like this.

1 Like

Can someone point me to the upgrade procedure? I’ve been running 21.10 for some time and occasionally I see a notice of it being obsolete but it’s always when I’m not in a good spot to update. I opened the software and updates app but see no way to upgrade from there.

Proper solution for upgrading no-longer-maintained versions is here:
How to upgrade Ubuntu 21.10 to 22.04 after EOL? - Server Fault