USB-C charging

@Fidel_Ernesto_Arias

I don’t have that same monitor, however the manual says it will negotiate to one of the following settings:
0.5V/3A,
9V/2A,
12V/1.5A,
15V/1A

So you’re looking at 18W max. Which probably won’t be enough to keep the laptop charged. I have a Gigabyte m28u in the mail which will have the exact same problem. My solution will be to just plug in another cable for charging.

18W might be acceptable if you A) Close the laptop lid so it’s display isn’t being used, not use any peripherals and set the windows performance slider to best battery or B) Allow the battery to slowly drain (but slower than normal) throughout the day and have it charge back up overnight.

Sounds about right. I’m seeing 10-15W draw with power saving mode on, internal screen off, and Firefox open with ~20 tabs.

what kind of amps does it need if it is charging @ 60W? My charger says it has can only output 12 amp

@MaineDan

Howdy. You may be reading the wrong stats on your charger. USB-PD chargers only go up to 5A (at 20V) for a delivery of 100W.

Here is a graph describing the modes that USB-PD will negotiate to:

If this doesn’t answer your question feel free to post a photo of the data on the power supply and we can have a go at deciphering.

5 Likes

So I’m kind of re-asking the initial question, but is there any concern using the “fruit” company 96W USB-C power adapter?

Nope! Use at will! The Framework team basically made this thing able to charge from a 5V potato battery if you had USB-C hooked up…

On a serious note don’t try the potato thing, I’m 90% sure it won’t work…

4 Likes

But if you have a goat on a wheel chasing the potato, you’ll be set!

3 Likes

You may be onto something, a goat can potentially provide the 57W electrical power required to charge the Framework laptop at its maximum charge rate.

Accounting for a 40% conversion efficiency (assuming a pretty finely engineered theoretical goat power → electrical power turbine/generator of some kind) that means a 143W goat. 143W*(1HP/746W) ≈ 3/16HP. It seems possible that a horse is actually just 5 1/3 goats in a trenchcoat. I’m calling this one plausible.

10 Likes

For additional alternate energy sources if you have a cow or cows you can just attach this near their rear and “catch the wind”.

WaterLily Turbine USB Charger - A Portable Water and Wind Turbine Charger to Charge All USB Devices Amazon.com

Interesting idea. If we start looking to livestock as a source of energy, perhaps chemical combustion of their waste gases would be a viable energy recovery method. I mean, methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas than the carbon dioxide it would decompose into, so maybe that’s a “green” avenue to pursue.

We should probably migrate this to “Off-topic” if you are interested in discussing the idea, but as short reply, research in this area has been going on for quite a while. Some landfills are using methane emissions to generate power for factories or communities. However, many environmentalists and “zero waste” advocates like me are concerned that this can incentivize the generation of more waste and distract from the current goal of reducing the amount of waste going into landfills. California’s AB 1383 which is currently in the process of being planned and implemented by all jurisdictions in the state is focused on getting organic waste out of the waste stream and into composting facilities to reduce the creation of methane instead burning it off as landfill gas. Here is a research paper from '98 on methane capture from animal manure… https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy99osti/25145.pdf

1 Like

Ps I can’t wait to get the “preparing to ship” email so I have something far more exciting to talk about than cow manure!

1 Like

Update to my update : I’m also ordering the following 64Ah battery, as it’s small enough to fit in my “portable office” briefcase but powerful enough to keep my laptop going :

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V1HQ6HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update : I’m trying the Zendure SuperTank battery, which charges at 100W. I’ll post results to the thread when available.

Hi, everybody. I tried the latest/greatest Charmast battery but even on quick charge mode it only outputs 18W. Even at modest battery/power settings, this charging rate cannot keep up with usage and the battery level drops.

Charmast 26800mAh Ultra Slim Quick Charge Power Bank – Charmast Direct

I found that by connecting to this Charmast battery that my usual 2.5 hour runtime was extended to 5h, I started out with both batteries full, and ended up with both batteries empty. With only 18w of charging capacity, this charger couldn’t keep the laptop battery topped up but did slow its discharge as expected.

I’m looking for the smallest but beefiest external battery that could seriously extend the useful runtime of my frame.work laptop when I must be working away from home but I’m nowhere near an AC outlet.

What models have worked well for the community ?

Would this work for you? Portable AC with 240 watt hours.

1 Like

Why not stick a 12VDC to usb-pd in the “cigarette lighter” socket? Yes DC->DC boosting is not perfectly efficient, but it has to be more efficient than DC → AC → DC. I found a 100w one for 16 bucks on Aliexpress yesterday…

2 Likes

It’s a little tough to pack a Jackery into a car dealership where I could be waiting for three hours, in a chair in the middle of a room with no access to mains power. My frame.work laptop battery only gives me 90 minutes, these portable and light solutions fit inside my briefcase and give me better power choices.

@Myles_Dear - what is your use profile that is resulting in only 90 minutes of runtime? Are you someplace where you need to have the display on full brightness? That’s rough, and it seems like you ought to be able to get at least double that run time, if not multiples of it. I picked up an iMuto 26800 mAh and an Anker 27000 mAh to use when I am out and about, but have not yet tested them out.

Edit - to be clear, I’m just wondering about what is consuming the power, not suggesting that anything you are doing is to blame. I’ve been following the battery tuning threads and trying to tweak things on my setup to extend the run time. I’m typically plugged in, though, so the biggest boon for me was the ability to limit the charge when plugged in that was introduced in the 3.07 bios.

Yowzers that’s short endurance indeed. If you’re on Linux, I could probably help you extend that greatly. I’m getting 5+ times that endurance for basic web browsing!

1 Like

I hope to be using this to charge my Framework (when it eventually shows up)
I will review it once it does.

1 Like

I’ve got to admit I’m new to the tuning game. I don’t really understand why it would be important to limit a charge. I needed a laptop that could match more closely the speed of my developer’s brain, I understand that comes with heightened power requirements. I bought the top tier laptop with 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz processor and 64G of installed RAM. I keep my screen brightness as low as comfortable for the environment, but when working from my mobile office (from the car dealership, or in my van helping with family errands and working while waiting for family to do shopping trips) ambient lighting is often bright, so the screen has to be brighter.

I regularly do development, 3d rendering, video processing, processor-heavy computations, etc.

My power settings are as follows for Windows 10 :
desktop background settings / slide show / on battery: Paused, Plugged in : Available
Sleep / sleep after / On battery: 60 minutes, plugged in: Never; Sleep / Hibernate after / On battery: 120 minutes, plugged in : never; Display / turn off display after / on battery: 4 minutes, plugged in: 10 minutes; battery/critical battery notification / at 2%, on in all cases, hibernate in all cases. Low battery level / at 6%, warn in all cases; reserve battery level : 4%.

Power button invokes sleep, closing the lid does nothing other than blank the screen.

Turn on fast startup : checked

I’m running Norton Security, which takes a chunk of background resources.