USB-C to DB9/RS-232

@Josh_Cook, my buddy got v0.1 cranked out and parts arriving Thursday of this week for assembly/soldering.

Note this is completely untested! (Caveat Emptor!)

I’m working on a 3D model for the enclosure now. Good news, is that since its USB-C (thank you framework), we should be able to test it on pretty much anything to see if it works.

Feedback welcome!

Forum wont let us post the SCH/BRD files, and we want to wait until its tested before we pusblish to github. DM me and I’ll happily send along what we have now.

7 Likes

Thanks. If you have seen any of my posts, I am in Australia but nonetheless I can get a PCB made for myself and assemble it, as long as it tests all good. Quick note, as the IC’s will have to be configured through the debug header, the led’s are in reverse, so if the device that you are connected to is transmitting it will has the RX light on. If you wish to change that you can just swap the colours around. For the FTDI setup it’s pretty self explanatory but CANBUS0 = PWREN#. CANBUS1 = RXLED# .CANBUS 2 = TXLED# .CANBUS3 =SLEEP. If you do wish to swap the leds so it is in the perspective of the laptop put the blue LED in the place of RX and the red LED in the place of TX.

I will more than likely modify my design for a USB-C to TTL serial and UART converters. As well as many different connectors like Micro USB 2.0 which I have the parts and PCB on order shortly after I figure out the issue with my design software not wanting to wire up the USB-C port. Any other ports you like to use in the field that hasn’t already been made?

1 Like

@Mike_D Hey, can I get the design files so I can get the PCB’s and parts on order?

2 Likes

@Mike_D Can you use a have port that would allow it to fit in the expansion card size the community will work on building the proper housing for it so it can still function as intended while still looking like it is meant to be part of the laptop.

@Josh_Cook Responded to your DM

@Skyline1029 I mean, we could, but you’d have to use a custom adapter cable to get to either DB-9 or 8P8C and at that point, just use a USB to Serial one =).

Framework has mentioned clearly that they’re going to support an RJ45 Ethernet port at some point. If they do one of the folding jaw ones, we might try to emulate that (if I can find parts), otherwise it’ll just have the 8P8C connector sticking proud of the chassis.

We’re doing fixed port rather than folding, since wouldn’t have ended up being a substantial size improvement with the design direction we’re going in.

3 Likes

@Mike_D This is great! I uhm… collect, enough switches and routers that this is a game-changer. Can’t wait to see the tested product!

1 Like

@courcelle12 We already have a prototype, failed to enumerate so will take the RS-232 - RJ-45 out of the equation and try the RS-232 on its own. And try it with type a not type c to see if there is any issues with using type C.

1 Like

While i don’t have a use for this myself, I really like the idea(s) discussed here.

Hi. A lot of what you clever folks have discussed above has gone over the old head, but if this thing will allow the use of legacy serial cables (I happen to know that the cable I’m specifically interested in is DB9) directly with the laptop, then I would buy one for sure.

I have a design that is practically identical that just has a standard DB-9 connector.

id be interested too, db9 consoles is still very much a thing in the networking world.

An update on the RJ45 serial expansion card, I have a prototype completely working except for the LEDs which I assume is polarity issue. But the DB9 mod is having issues enumerating.

Apologies for reviving an old topic here. I was doing a bit of searching and wondering if anyone has prototyped this RS-232 to RJ45 over straight Ethernet concept

I’m not an electronics wiz, but I have a 3D printer and I can order PCBs and do basic soldering if there’s a design out there. Or I’d be happy to buy from anyone who has made one. Just haven’t seen anything in the threads I found.

Yes it would be nice as I have some old connections to a Telescope and other equipment that need that connection

I don’t understand wanting such a module.

https://a.co/d/3Q6Iw83

You cannot use a straight-through or cross-over cable for such serial connections. You have to use a Roll-Over cable. So you’ll still end up stuck requiring a specialized cable… You’re better off just buying the USB-C to RJ45 console cables.

I guess you could create a special pin out at the RJ45 jack… but that just seems odd… Either way, you’re still stuck carrying cables.

This is my argument too, when people were wanting DB9 expansion modules. You need a cable anyway, why not use an off the shelf USB-RS232 cable?

1 Like

Honestly it’s not a huge deal, but I carry standard ethernet cables with me all the time and they’re a dime a dozen (not to mention there are always spares around network closets). Having a nonstandard pinout on the RJ45 jack that lets me use any random ethernet cable for serial connections would be handy. I’ve broken so many cheap usb (a and c) to serial RJ45 cables/connectors, so it would be nice to have a more static module I can slot in and use a standard ethernet cable so I break a 10 cent cable that I can re-crimp instead of a $10 cable that is trash.

That’s definitely non-standard to use such a pin out. If you have ever dealt with console servers you’ll know they have a standard pin out and require roll over cables (flip the tip before you crimp) from the console server to the console port of the device.

Having a non standard pin out NIC makes me grimace as you’ll need an adapter if you ever have to interface with this standardized setup. It’s not the first time of have and adapter for such nonsense pin outs as APC used to be such an offender, but those days are long over since I’ve required adapters.