[SOLVED] Using mouse binds on keyboard not working

Framework 16, Debian Testing up-to-date at time of writing, Xfce (so Xorg)

Setting any key to a mouse button (including movement and scrolling) doesn’t seem to work for me, both on the keyboard module and numpad module. xinput shows both of these have a pointer device registered, however xev isn’t showing any events. Is there something I’m missing?

Just to be clear, I believe you mean using Via (keyboard.frame.work) to set a key to a mouse button, such as Mouse Btn1.

Click for screenshot

I’m afraid, it seems mouse keys aren’t enabled in the default keyboard firmwares. You’d need to compile new firmware, after adding MOUSEKEY_ENABLE = yes to /keyboards/framework/rules.mk.

That is indeed what I meant, thanks.

Strange that it’s not enabled yet still registering as a mouse. Suppose I’ll have to look into compiling it, then. Unfortunate, but at least it’s something that can be done.

Yeah, I think it was just an oversight, since the RP2040 used in the FWL16 keyboard modules has more than enough memory to just enable everything. But QMK does not assume that you have the spare memory for everything, so it’s not enabled by default, and you do have to explicitly turn it on.