We want a battery case!

Exactly what I have been looking for. Just was kind of hoping there was a company in Germany or the US (for example) that was making a bit more polished of a product.

That’s a bit of a dilemma, consumers aren’t supposed to have naked cells in the first place so it is understandable no one makes a consumer product like that.

Also the hot-swappable ones I know of are all 5v only so no fast charging or charging a laptop at anywhere near useful speeds with those.

1 Like

Yea, this is the reason why it would be nice if Framework made one. But I would very much understand if they didn’t. You can get people filling it with dangerous counterfeit 18650s like “UltraFire 5000mAh” cells that they found somewhere and then try to blame FW when it goes badly.

1 Like

Why stop there, if we are going to lie why not go for the 99999mah ultraFire, I am really impressed that actually works but people do buy them.

For reference the highest capacity 18650s were 3600mah (The legendary/mystical Panasonic NCR18650G) and are pretty much unicorns. 3500mah cells are relatively available from all manufacturers.

Absolutely. The batteries are very slim so stacking two of them in 1 enclosure makes sense.

@moderators i think this should be split into its own topic, super interesting!

Are those still 5V so no fast charging? Can’t they be hooked up in parallel (or serial? always forget with batteries) to boost the voltage?

18650s are raw batteries so around 2.5-4.2V ish. No fast charging or charging at all for that matter and definitely not 5V XD.

They can and are put in series to increase voltage for a lot of applications.

55Wh x2 = 110 Wh, which is too large to take on an airplane IIRC.

3 Likes

That’s why modularity is so great! Just hand one battery to a friend, or one in your lugage and one in your backpack. :slight_smile:

Can’t you have as many as you want as long as they are under 100wh? Afaik the limitation for sub 100wh batteries is “reasonable quantity”. Apparently you can also have up to 2 160wh batteries with most airlines but looks like noone does that.

1 Like

I personally feel that 1kWh worth of extra batteries is reasonable quantity. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Lithium batteries are prohibited in checked luggage in the US. Other parts of the world may have different restrictions.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

3 Likes

The one in your luggage (I presume you mean checked luggage) will go missing, and you will find a note when you get to your destination that it has been removed by airport security. Had exactly this happen with a spare camera battery I managed to leave in my checked baggage.

3 Likes

Just ordered the new 61Wh battery. Would love to have a case for my old one!

6 Likes

I’d appreciate if someone at the framework team could at least publish a rough schematic of the battery case demo unit, that way people who wanted to make their own DIY version would know what components to get.

6 Likes

wait
They have a demo unit?

I have been living under a rock! What else are there?

1 Like

IIRC they showed it off at the same time as the original 3d printed case for the mainboard as a proof of concept.

So I know you can DO it, I just wish they put cad files and a parts list on github or something for those of us without degrees in electrical engineering.

2 Likes

Is there any chance we can ask someone on the framework team to give a parts list or cad files for the battery demo unit like they did for the mainboard case?
I’m not asking for them to roll it into production, I’d just like a DIY guide so I can reuse my old 55wh battery without zapping myself.

4 Likes

According to upower -d on Fedora 39, my 2021 55Whr battery only holds an 88% charge- I hope I can replace it with a 60Whr battery and put the old battery into a battery case too!

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
  native-path:          BAT1
  vendor:               
  serial:               wo
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Thu 14 Dec 2023 02:00:13 PM MST (8 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               discharging
    warning-level:       low
    energy:              5.4208 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         48.9412 Wh
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         11.8272 W